Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some guidance for best positioning

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need some guidance for best positioning

I'm looking at buying a house sometime in the next 6-12 months and am trying to figure out the best course of action to be in the best possible position.

Currently I rent and will be buying my first home. I am the sole provider, my wife stays home with the kids.

Income at 115,000.

Current accounts:

Acct     opened  balance/limit

Best buy 7/19: 1000/2000

Cap1  7/15: 1000/1300

Cap1  4/18: 0/500

Discover  4/18: 1800/2000

Amazon Chase 12/19: 1400/2000

Nfcu 1/19: 9400/10000

Lowes  3/19: 0/100

Auto: 

Local CU: 51000 owed, 8% paid, opened 5/19

Local CU: 12000 owed, 38% paid, opened 2/18

Personal loan:

1 Paid but not updated yet, 2000

1 balance 1800, original 5000, opened 3/18

1 student loan: 3800 left to pay. 

9 inquiries, all but 2 fall off by June 2020.

Auto loans only show on equinox (only one reported to by CU)

1 closed auto loan, closed PIF June 2018 has 5 lates from Oct 2016-Feb 2017, 30/60/60/60/60 due to layoff.

1 Cap1 card has 1 late Dec 2016 30 days.

1 fingerhut charge off with first negative activity 4/2014, closed 8/2014. Shows 0 balance, was paid in full.

All of those negatives I've repeatedly tried to get removed with no success yet. Everything else has been paid on time 100%.

Looking at best options to increase score and more importantly give best chance of success getting a mortgage when the time comes. Currently looking at paying all CCs down below 68.9% and going from there. 

Current scores (FICO8): 

EQ: 621

EX: 668

TU: 636

None of those reflect the best buy card recently being paid down from 1800 to 1000.

Any advice on what to tackle or order to do it? Once things are paid down enough to atleast get me over the 680 hump, preferably over 700, I'm going to shift gears and start socking away all the money I can to help with down payment. 

Thanks for any advice.

10 REPLIES 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need some guidance for best positioning

Two ways to go about it:

1) Pay off smallest balance and keep it $0 (Snowball)

2) Pay off highest APR regardless of balance size (Avalanche)

If you need signs of tangible progress go #1, if you don't go #2 as it'll be less interest paid.

Focus on getting your revolving debt down, it's not much compared to your income but optimal is something like $20 on one tradeline honestly (technically below 9% but w/e yuppie food stamp is an easy target to shoot for imo instead of maths) and the rest zero.  You'll see that referred to here as AZEO, but you have a bunch of cards nearly maxxed out and that's not helping your scores at all.

Ignore the installment loans, just make your regular payments on them. Prepaying them is a rounding error especially on the mortgage scores compared to revolving debt which is a score killer.

Also no more new accounts till you sort your mortgage, those hurt on the mortgage side.

        
Message 2 of 11
800who
Regular Contributor

Your DTI is pretty high and although your income is high, all those smaller balances add up fast. The auto loan that's almost half your income is pretty significant, I'd look into getting rid of that, taking up a lot of income with that payment every month, with a smaller auto payment you could use the rest of the funds from that to tackle all the smaller balances. Really wouldn't focus on saving for a down payment until you knock out a majority of those balances.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, the vehicle purchase wasn't my shining moment of good decision making. It does work for me, I do a lot of handyman/woodwork on the side and having that truck is a must. Could've (should've) gone for used but atleast right now, if I can make it work without getting rid of it that would be preferable. Not just because I like the truck, but because the loan isn't very old and to get rid of it I'll be coming out of pocket with a pretty large chunk upfront. While it would free up a good bit, I could pay off almost all of my other existing debt with the same amount.

Let me be clear that I'm not against getting rid of it if that's what I have to do, but hopefully taking care of the rest of the debt makes it doable.

My current backend DTI is 29%, if I pay off all revolving debt it'll be 24%. If I include paying off student loan and personal loan it'd be 22.3%.

I will not be opening any new accounts. I'd actually like to close one but it's my oldest (and only account with an annual fee, the reason I want to close it), so I'm going to keep it open until post-mortgage. Then I'll start contacting them to either try and get it converted to no fee or cancel it.

What I am looking at currently: I can pay off every card except the NFCU right now. Then start working on getting that card down. Or I could spread the amount out over every card, getting them all below 69% utilization, and then I can pay off 2 a month until I'm left with the remainder on the NFCU card that I will have to chip away at.

I can pay every card to where they are almost paid off (again, except the NFCU) and I can go ahead and knock out that personal loan which would free up $170 a month immediately to go towards other stuff as well. Then I can finish paying off the cards in the following couple months.

Message 4 of 11
800who
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous Sounds like an established plan! I like it.

Message 5 of 11
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Do you have any retirement savings?

What about money for a down payment?

I think those are the only things you left out and in my opinion, with that level of income I would say that you can't afford not to participate in some sort of tax saving retirement plan which can often be a great resource as life continues to happen.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 6 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

FICO is moment-in-time, it doesn't matter what path you take credit scoring wise if your goal is to pay it mostly all off anyway AZEO style.

Personally unless the NFCU APR was higher than the other tradelines (it's unlikely that it would be) I'd simply pay all the small ones off and then tackle the big one if I were dumping it all in two months anyway.  That's not a long time, if it were going to take me much longer to pay off everything then I'd absolutely go avalanche but in this case just nuke it from orbit.

        
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Money for down payment will be saved up as everything starts to be paid off. I have money saved up but it doesn't make sense to me to have money sitting in an account making very little while I have debt accruing much more interest so I'm blowing my current down payment savings to get the debt paid off.

I'm going to dump everything into paying off debt, once it's down to just the NFCU I'm going to start putting more back in savings for down payment while chipping away at the NFCU cc to get to the preferred AZEO utilization.

As for retirement, I am currently putting back the max that is matched by my company (6%). There's not a lot in there, especially right now. My 401k is quite young so before the markets dropped I was at around 10k.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate that makes sense. Hadn't thought about it that way.

What I was thinking is I don't know what the underwriters see when looking at a credit report. I know for me it shows balance history, not sure if it does for lenders as well. Was thinking getting them paid off as quickly as possible so the balance history is cleaner when it comes time to apply. But I don't even know if that is a thing haha.

Message 9 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate that makes sense. Hadn't thought about it that way.

What I was thinking is I don't know what the underwriters see when looking at a credit report. I know for me it shows balance history, not sure if it does for lenders as well. Was thinking getting them paid off as quickly as possible so the balance history is cleaner when it comes time to apply. But I don't even know if that is a thing haha.

It's not what UW's care about honestly especially talking mortgages.

The trended data is actually fairly new (and not yet universal to my knowledge in terms of all lenders reporting it) and no existing FICO algorithm makes use of it and a DTI calculation is done on current information as displayed on your credit report.

End of the day anything over call it 5% APR should just be airstruck for the same reason you stated above about money sitting in some cash account while paying non-trivial APRs on revolvers.  Just get rid of it and start freeing up your cash flow at the same time you're prettying up your credit report and DTI metrics.

        
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.