Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing advice

tag
doc101
Regular Contributor

Needing advice

I am currentlyin the stages of rebuilding credit in hopes of obtaining a mortgage. I have read where people choose to go either FHA or USDA. My scores are not quite where they need to be to qualify but I want to know if I were to get someone to cosign would it help me get approved. My parents want to see me get a home just as bad as I do. My mom has excellent credit ( 750+ on EQ and TU, 710 EX). She has offered many many times to do this , but since I have started to improving my scores, I want to try to get approved all by myself. Am I wrong if I decide to get my mom to cosign with me? I have found a great home and I really can see myself in it. Any advice you guys can give will be greatly appreciated

Starting Score:Equifax 543
Current Score:EQ659 TU 716 EXP677 updated 7/3/2016
Goal Score: 700

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Needing advice

Getting a mortgage is different then getting a other types of loan in the sense that noone can really "co-sign" for you. If you are both going to be on the loan, then you BOTH have to be able to qualify.

My advice? I would continue to work on your scores until YOU are able to to qualify for the home on your own. Otherwise if you move forward now based on the scores you have below your mom may have to qualify for the home on her own, if she has income and the down payment $ ready.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.