Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nervous About Husband's Student Loans

tag
pgtackle2003
Frequent Contributor

Re: Nervous About Husband's Student Loans

That is interesting for sure. I would think they'd be somewhat concerned because this could go many ways. You already said they were taking all the tax returns. They could also choose to have paychecks garnished, which could then affect your ability to pay the mortgage. I would just be optomistic but cautious. Not sure if I've ever heard of someone getting a mortgage with a defaulted student loan. But I suppose there is a first time for everything Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am thinking they're using Fannie Mae. According to their guidelines, they're pretty lenient on charged-off accounts, even student loans (someone chime in if I am wrong!). Since I believe this is conventional they don't use CAIVRS and all they care about is what it shows on his credit report. The report only shows it as a charge off with $0 and 0 payments (weird I know) so from his response, it sounds like they only care about our base credit report? 

Message 12 of 22
JVille
Valued Contributor

As a LO and UW of nearly 30 yrs this would not fly past me. A 2014 charge off? I would request an update to the CR and likely require rehab. with reestablished on time payments or decline if applicant has other credit issues.
As an UW, a borrower who can afford to pay and does not is an issue for me. I hope you don’t run into an old school UW.
Anyone else care to comment?
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jville I totally agree, actually, which is why I am still nervous. He is the VP of the mortgage department of the bank and an older gentleman, so I know this isn't his first rodeo. We live in semi-rural New Mexico and the market here is extremely slow if that makes a difference? I've read that sometimes banks are more lenient when they're in slow markets. Does anyone else know if that might be true? 

Message 14 of 22
JVille
Valued Contributor

This is the question you will be asked on your loan application.
“Are you presently delinquent or in default on any Federal debt or any other loan, mortgage, financial obligation, bond, or loan guarantee?”

For your husband the answer is Yes.

Your LO needs to immediately run this entire scenario past underwriting upfront before you go one step further. A mortgage insurance company also needs to approve your loan. The amount of your defaulted SL is what many people have in a car loan. In fact my car loan is twice as high (am I remembering something under $40,000?) only your terms are likely better.
Please insist UW clear you before you get your hopes up and cause a seller to take their home off the market. Good luck to you!
Message 15 of 22
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@JVille wrote:
As a LO and UW of nearly 30 yrs this would not fly past me. A 2014 charge off? I would request an update to the CR and likely require rehab. with reestablished on time payments or decline if applicant has other credit issues.
As an UW, a borrower who can afford to pay and does not is an issue for me. I hope you don’t run into an old school UW.
Anyone else care to comment?

As an UW, a borrower who can afford to pay and does not is an issue

+ 100

Message 16 of 22
JVille
Valued Contributor

Trying to be polite as every borrower is unique and special circumstances can happen.
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're good! I'd rather hear other peoples' insights now than go through the entire process and hit this roadblock later after the fact. No worries. I appreciate anyone's opinion, especially if you've dealt with these things firsthand. 

Message 18 of 22
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@JVille wrote:
This is the question you will be asked on your loan application.
“Are you presently delinquent or in default on any Federal debt or any other loan, mortgage, financial obligation, bond, or loan guarantee?”

For your husband the answer is Yes.

Your LO needs to immediately run this entire scenario past underwriting upfront before you go one step further. A mortgage insurance company also needs to approve your loan. The amount of your defaulted SL is what many people have in a car loan. In fact my car loan is twice as high (am I remembering something under $40,000?) only your terms are likely better.
Please insist UW clear you before you get your hopes up and cause a seller to take their home off the market. Good luck to you!

+100

OP, you also don't want to be putting up any monies that could be lost because the financial application didn't include all the facts. Monies that could be lost is EMD, any inspections you've paid for upfront, an appraisal. Yep, this situation is kind of shaky at best, and getting out in front of it as you're doing is smart.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why don’t you do the loan in your name only? That would take the student loan out of the equation.
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.