Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Collection Less Than 30 Days from Closing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Collection Less Than 30 Days from Closing

Hi everyone,

I have been on these forums for months now as myself and my husband are in the midst of buying a house. All of your great advice has helped me get my mid Fico mortgage score to 713 but all of a sudden some bad news hit us today. While I was working hard on getting my credit scores up as we near close, our LO just re-pulled our credit and my husband's mid-score tanked from a brand new collections line added to his credit reports! His mid-score is now 683 (down from 723).

My question to all of you and anyone who can help is how can we get this collection off his reports ASAP? It was literally a $38 bill from AT&T that went to collections and they never sent him a notice whatsoever for it. He got a call last month from Enhanced Recovery collection and immediately paid over the phone. I wish I would have known about this sooner so we could PFD but it's too late now.

Does anyone have any tips to try to get this off? I am having him pull his 3 separate credit reports since the Tri-Merge doesn't show much info to see if there are any inaccuracies we can dispute but even then that's tough since technically our loan won't be appproved while disputes are being investigated. 

We are in the middle of a rock and a hard place here so any help you can give me would be great! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Collection Less Than 30 Days from Closing

I would not dispute, that will cause even more serious hold's on your loan. Is the problem the interest rate? His mid score is still high enough for a loan, so i imagine that changes your interest? I would call the debt collector and ask for a goodwill removal. Try to contact the CEO of the collection agency, even. If it was not on your report before, I'm surprised they added it after it was paid. Hopefully someone else will know more about that on these boards. 

Message 2 of 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: New Collection Less Than 30 Days from Closing

^^^agree with the pp. Don't dispute, it causes other issues with your approval. Call AT&T to see if you can get them to pull the collection back and pay them directly. Then call the collector if that doesn't work. Be nice - as honey is better than vinegar in this situation Smiley Happy Go over to the rebuilding board and see if they have any specific suggestions too.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.