Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Construction, preferred lender loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Construction, preferred lender loans

If we apply for a loan with the preferred lender with a new home builder, can we pay the down payment amount, just prior to closing, when the house is finished, or is everything due upfront?

I ask because we are leaning heavily toward going with Navy Federal, because of the no money down. But it comes with a high interest rate.

We are looking at a house thats 310k, we have 5k saved up, but we could save another 5k-6k, in the 5-6months it takes to build a house.  The FHA loan is 3.5%  down and a lower interest rate.

Our current lease is up at the end of August, so whatever we do, we need to do it pretty soon.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: New Construction, preferred lender loans

wrote:

If we apply for a loan with the preferred lender with a new home builder, can we pay the down payment amount, just prior to closing, when the house is finished, or is everything due upfront?

I ask because we are leaning heavily toward going with Navy Federal, because of the no money down. But it comes with a high interest rate.

We are looking at a house thats 310k, we have 5k saved up, but we could save another 5k-6k, in the 5-6months it takes to build a house.  The FHA loan is 3.5%  down and a lower interest rate.

Our current lease is up at the end of August, so whatever we do, we need to do it pretty soon.

You can go with the preferred lender. NFCU has some high rates and a 1 point charge for their 0% down program unless you're a veteran. If you're a veteran, why don't you just go with a VA loan?

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

We aren't  veterans, just members of NFCU; my sister is in the Navy.

So, you're saying that we won't have to put down the down payment until we close, when the house is finished?

Message 3 of 4
kc0039
Established Contributor

That's correct. You might have to put the earnest money down which you and the builder negotiate.

Licensed in IL
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.