Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Construction

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Construction

The market in our area is insane. Most houses are selling within a couple of days after being listed if not before they even get them listed with multiple offers. Our plan is to begin looking to buy the beginning of next year as I need to get our 2016 taxes submitted to raise my self employment income average. We prefer new construction and according to local realtors builders can't build houses fast enough to keep up with demand so it will most likely be hard to find what we are looking for with the shortage of homes for sale. I'm thinking we might end up needing to go to a builder and have a custom home built but I have no idea how that process works. I originally planned on going FHA and will have 3.5% to put down. Is this possible with having a custom home built?  I really just need some guidance on the home building process and also when we should start looking. I've read that it takes 6 weeks after submitting a tax return for the transcript to be available. I should have our taxes filed by Feb 1st so would we need to wait 6 weeks from that date before starting the process?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: New Construction

A. You mean your 2015 taxes? Smiley Wink

B. Yes, FHA covers construction, including custom.

C. I am not a professional by any means. Smiley Tongue
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does that work? Do you apply for a mortgage when signing the contract to build or do you just get pre approved at that point? Is it still just 3.5% down? 

Message 3 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

If you will be pursuing a custom build, then first select a builder and that builder will guide you through the process. Alternatively, you can select a builder and then go to one of your local lenders and apply for a construction-to-permanent loan. The loan officer will guide you through the process.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ezdriver wrote:

If you will be pursuing a custom build, then first select a builder and that builder will guide you through the process. Alternatively, you can select a builder and then go to one of your local lenders and apply for a construction-to-permanent loan. The loan officer will guide you through the process.

Would we have to put more than 3.5% down?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.