Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New cards affect mortgage application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New cards affect mortgage application

As a newbie, I have a question for all you savvy MyFico-ers. Last month I applied for some credit cards for DH and myself that I've had my eye on. I was thinking we would not be looking for a house/mortgage for AT LEAST 1-2 years. However, as is usually the case with my plans, things have changed and I am now anticipating to begin the mortgage application process in around 6 months.

Here are the details: before apping our scores were 740-760. Both had AAoA of 2-3 years (multiple TLs and student loans reporting so AAoA will decrease probably 3-4 months). No lates/ baddies of any kind on either report. I will have 1 new TL reporting on my account as of last month and he will have 2.

So, have I ruined us for a potential mortgage hunt this Spring??
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Re: New cards affect mortgage application

I think you will be fine.  I was told not to open anything new at all once I started the process and had been about 6 months out from my last apps.  I did do a money shuffling installment loan in the middle of my application, but it was to improve my DTI and it was OK'd by the LO and UW with a letter of ex. 

I cannot WAIT to close on my house so I can app for Navy and Lowes!!!

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 2 of 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
As a newbie, I have a question for all you savvy MyFico-ers. Last month I applied for some credit cards for DH and myself that I've had my eye on. I was thinking we would not be looking for a house/mortgage for AT LEAST 1-2 years. However, as is usually the case with my plans, things have changed and I am now anticipating to begin the mortgage application process in around 6 months.

Here are the details: before apping our scores were 740-760. Both had AAoA of 2-3 years (multiple TLs and student loans reporting so AAoA will decrease probably 3-4 months). No lates/ baddies of any kind on either report. I will have 1 new TL reporting on my account as of last month and he will have 2.

So, have I ruined us for a potential mortgage hunt this Spring??

No way you will be fine. The effect of the new accounts will deminish some within the next 5 months. I think you are safe to apply in Feb or march. You are doing great! You should consider both a conventional mortgage and an Fha mortgage. There are pros and cons to each. I like the conventional because it costs less in the wrong run but an Fha can be much easier to get because of less down payment and cash reserve requirements. I think its a good idea to study both programs. Basically; the amount of cash you have in savings will determine which program is right for you.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, great. Thanks so much for the replies! After we decided we might need to move earlier than expected I was so upset about having applied for the new credit. It's always nice to know how the situation looks from the outside Smiley Happy

I'm thinking we'll probably go for the FHA loan because the smaller down payment would be better right now. But we're definitely weighing the options of FHA vs. Conventional.
Message 4 of 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, great. Thanks so much for the replies! After we decided we might need to move earlier than expected I was so upset about having applied for the new credit. It's always nice to know how the situation looks from the outside Smiley Happy

I'm thinking we'll probably go for the FHA loan because the smaller down payment would be better right now. But we're definitely weighing the options of FHA vs. Conventional.

Best of Luck to you guys!!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

6 months is generally the rule when apping before a mortgage.  With that said it wouldn't ruin your chances for anything.  You may just have to explain them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.