Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New collection acct popped up....so annoyed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New collection acct popped up....so annoyed

Just a glitch in the process......we aren't under contract yet but we are hoping to find a home soon.  In the mean time, I recieved a letter on Friday from some collections company about an At&t cell phone bill from 2008.  I switched from att to tmobile in june 2008 and I don't believe I had a balance left on my acct.  I called att directly and they see that there is a balance but because the acct is so old they cant access the actual records.  They reccomended disputing it with the collections company and they would then have to get att to dig the original bill out of the archives.  While I don't agree with even owing this money, I am tempted to pay it throught att directly and then sending proof that the debt has been paid to the collection agency.  Time is of the essence right now and I just want this gone asap.  Advice needed! Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: New collection acct popped up....so annoyed

Paying ATT won't make it go away.  Your best bet is to PFD (Pay for delete) with the CA who is reporting.  (The CA is reporting, right?)

You can try to dispute it as ATT said, but you could end up with a dispute comment on your reports which would stop a mortgage dead in it's tracks.  I wouldn't risk it.

I would drive that CA CRAZY until they agreed to a PFD, in a very nice way.  I'd call often, fax, write, email, beg, plead, and grovel.  This method has worked for me plenty of times.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 5
scmami
Regular Contributor

@booner I wish I had your tenacity! I think the OP just got a dunning. Doesn't seem to be reporting per her post. Who is the CA? I had an old AT&T landline bill and the CA was Enhanced recovery Services. I recall them offering a 10% settlement once. I ignored them for a couple of years, then when I got in serious mode, I disputed and they immediately removed..
Current FICOs (Sept 2015) EQ: 666 TU: 663
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The ca is EOS CCA and I called to see if they would do a pay for deletion and the "manager" was no help at all. he even went so far as to say he has no way of removing it from my credit report even if I paid the debt. Then he tried to tell me it wouldn't affect my chances of getting a mortgage loan....I know better and I know he is a jerk because I have been dealing with creditors for months trying to fix my credit. I sent a cease and desist letter and I am strongly considering paying AT&T so that when we find a house, if this becomes an issue, I have proof that the debt has been paid. I would dispute it but I don't want dispute comments on my report. What's really making me mad is that these idiots are reporting the same acct twice on my EQ report. Seriously!!!!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some other info about this ca.......he said they acquired the acct in August but didn't send me a letter until oct.5 then reported to my credit report oct. 14 and then AGAIN on oct.18. The notes on the acct say "consumer disputes acct" how can this be written on there when it posted to my report before I even received the initial letter? I asked him why his letter states that I have 30 days to pay or dispute but they reported to my report 9 days after the letter was mailed to me. His response...."that's just the way we do things" Really????? Wow
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.