Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New home construction loan

tag
kball64
Frequent Contributor

New home construction loan

Hello.  This is question for our resident mortgage experts...

Earlier this year my husband and I purchased a little piece of land in East Texas on  a 10 year mortgage.  We want to build our retirement home out there and are thinking about doing it sooner than later.  Is it possible to get a new home construction loan if it's not owner occupied?  We wouldn't be able to permanently move out there for at least another 8-10 years but  want some place to stay on the weekends and use as a vacation getaway.  Also, I am curious if it's possible if after the construction is complete, to refinance the property mortgage and the new home into one mortgage.  We own our current home outright and would sell it and put the proceeds of the sale towards the new home/property once we're ready to move.  We've never done anything like this before and are still in "thinking" stage so would welcome any advice!

Thanks a bunch,

Elaine

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MrChairman
Established Contributor

Re: New home construction loan

You could get a construction loan to do this. A local bank or credit union would most likely be willing to work with you more on this type of loan than a big bank.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.