Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user looking for general Info and Guidance,

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New user looking for general Info and Guidance,

Just stumbled on this forum last night, read alot of posts, very good info and full of knowledgable people. Ill be as brief as possible. 

In 2011 both wife and myself lost our jobs within 30 days of each other. Couldnt pay our mortgage, first missed payment was  im May 2012.

The house was subsequently foreclosed in 2014. Then my wifes 90 year old parents couldnt care for themselves so we became primary care givers from June 2012 until October 2017 when both passed away. During that time we wear able to rent homes and have to this day. There were other missed apyments etc, but to get a shorter tale, all that is on my credit report now is the missed payments on the house that started in May 2012. I have not used or tried to use credit until recenty. A year or so ago I had no credit score as I had no credit. Took out a $250.00 secured card, but have kept it at zero balance which I now see was a mistake, i will from here in keep a 18-20 dollar balance on it. My credit score was running between 668-682. I 3 months ago purchased a car to get that type of loan going, put $10000 down financed $12000, first payment was this month. Because of loan and inquiry my scores took a hit lowest is 652 up tp 665. We had planned on just renting forever as we have sufficent income ( retirement ) to afford it. I must add I am 68 years old. wife 66. Our household income is approx 77000 yearly , tax free. We drained most of our savings giving both a son and daughter sufficent cash to each put 20% down so they could purchase a home. No we are feeling we might want to but a small home (150000 or less), in the State of Georgia where we live. Question are

Should we wait til we have a 20% down payment, (would probably take about 14 months). or if a good deal comes up put together 10% plus closing and eat the PMI. We are below the income threshold for this state for USDA guaranteed and I am a Veteran, but everything I read says sellers are hard to find that will accept those loans. Also I would like to wait until my Fico goes back up, and thoughts when it might bounce back up.  My yearly income without my wife is approx 50,000, wife is just starting to build her credit, current scores around 560 or so. 

The car payment 212dollars, and the secured card 0-15 dollars are our only  bills. Hope I made this understandable. At my age I am just not sure if we should wait. or jump sooner and eat the PMI until we gat to 20% equity or is USDA or VA Better

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: New user looking for general Info and Guidance,

Go for the VA Loan!  

You've earned it and deserve better terms than any lender can provide, but you should be fine with a VA loan.

Thanks for your service to our country as well!

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would hope to wait for Fico score improvement. Any guesses based on what I have said above how long before my score will improve and how many points i can reasonably expect.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an added point, everything I read seems to indicate that sellers are not excited about accepting a goverment backed loan (VA or USDA) Dont know if its because of realtors who may advise them against them, or mortgage providers who dont communicate with the realtor or seller. We are looking in N georgia  and will do our research before looking at homes

Message 4 of 6
KBincali
New Contributor

Hi, if it's not too late, please look into the NACA loan program. It does take a bit longer, but no money down, no closing costs, no PMI, and the opportunity to buy down your interest to almost 0% depending on income. I closed on my house last December with them and am very pleased.
Message 5 of 6
kc0039
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would hope to wait for Fico score improvement. Any guesses based on what I have said above how long before my score will improve and how many points i can reasonably expect.

Always go with the VA loan. 0% down and no PMI. Also, you get the best rates at 680 and above with the VA loan. 

Licensed in IL
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.