Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie Question

Hi there! I've been reading these forums for a while, but finally worked up the courage to post my own question Smiley Happy

I started focusing on repairing my credit earlier this year. For several years (2008-2013), I was young and dumb about making payments on time. I had several 30 day late payments on an auto loan and student loan. 

In 2014, I started my own business and had the means to be much more responsible about making payments on time and actually putting money into savings. I have paid off all my student loans and carry a less than 10% balance on all my credit cards. The only loan I have currently on my credit report is my husband's truck (he is also on the loan). 

My goal is to apply for a construction loan in the next 3-6 months. 

My current mortgage scores are EQ: 629, TU: 677, EX: 611

Fico 8 scores are EQ: 651, TU: 660, EX: 663

I have two collections on my credit report that popped up in May of this year (a $30 and $50 bill from GoDaddy that I wasn't even aware of). I got the CA to agree to a PFD, and they have already been removed from EX. My EX score didn't budget when the collections were removed.

I also have a 120 late payment reporting on EQ and EX for August and September 2015. I was paying off smaller student loans, and this loan was in deferment. I have called the student loan company to request that the late pays be removed, but they won't budge...even though I have letters that acknowledge the deferment. I paid off this loan in April of this year. 

If I can't get the student loan company to remove the 120 late entry, is there anything else I can do to get my score to 680-700 in the next 3 months? I've read in some of the forums to pay off all credit cards to a $0 balance, except for one card and keep that card at under 10% utilization. Is this my best bet, or is there anything else I can do to improve my scores? 

Other than the 120 late pay and two collections, I don't have any other derogatory marks in the last two years. 

Thanks in advance for your time!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

getRe: Newbie Question

I am not sure how to get that removed have you tried disputing it and showing the paperwork to the bureaus ? That may work

The thing that concerns me based on what you shared is the timing of your business - for self employed borrowers we need two years of taxes to show the average income - you wont have that until you file your 16 taxes next year - 

also construction loans are hard to find and when you do they require impecable credit - keep working on getting things cleaned up 

Good Luck

Brian B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Newbie Question

you could pay a credit attorney to send them a copy of that letter showing deferment.... along with a copy of the FCRA

and their bill

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.