cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No "new" credit applications 3 months before applying for a new mortgage?

tag
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

No "new" credit applications 3 months before applying for a new mortgage?

First, CONGRATS to all who recently closed escrow or were approved for a mortgage loan.

Second, can someone please tell me the least amount of months to wait before applying for a new mortgage?  I recently applied for new credit. Just for emergency purposes and so that the amounts I am forking out monthly will now go towards a positive payment history on my credit cards.

I wil be applying for a mortgage in April or the beginning of May.  My AaoA is about 4 years.  My last approved app was today and  I have a trillion inquiries, but I have the cards that will be utilized for specific budget reasons and will be PIF monthly before the statement cuts. 

So, my question is...is 3-4 months of no apps long enough before applying for a mortgage?

Insight anyone????

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: No "new" credit applications 3 months before applying for a new mortgage?

It is best not to apply for credit at least 6 months prior to application.  

Message 2 of 12
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Thank you for the prompt reply.  That being said, will the 3-4 months before affect my approval? 

I needed at least a measure of  "we will be okay" and not have to exhaust all of our savings to do so in the event of yet another loss. Several Immediate deaths have swept our family the last several months.  We have purchased 10plus round trip tickets that reflects on my credit in anyway at all, but it sure hit our bank account.

Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Message 3 of 12
drkaje
Senior Contributor

You're gonna have to qualify "trillion" (and ask for a Mod to move this to the Mortgage forum) before anyone whose been through the mortgage application process can really answer.

I asked USAA and they said about 3 months. This is likely because they worry more about DTI.

IMO, safest, surest way to know is ask the lender your interested in using. My guess would be 6 months is safest, though.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 4 of 12
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

I thought this was the mortgage forum.  This is the forum about mortgage loans right? Which one should it go to???????

Message 5 of 12
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

thanks for the support. also, my DTI is 7% and going down.

Message 6 of 12
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@JusdoNit wrote:

I thought this was the mortgage forum.  This is the forum about mortgage loans right? Which one should it go to???????

You're in the right place. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 12
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Thanks

Message 8 of 12
Scope27
Regular Contributor

I did my last CC app in August and app'd in Nov and was ok'd to start house shopping.  During my loan process it wasn't much of an issues being that I PIF for those three months.

Message 9 of 12
good_credit
Established Member

I applied for credit on 08/23 and then put in an application for refinancing w/Citi on 08/24. Everything was fine.

All i was asked was what the credit limit for the new card..  

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.