Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non borrowing spouse, student loans, FHA, Louisiana

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Non borrowing spouse, student loans, FHA, Louisiana

My husband and I are trying for an fha loan, first time buyers. The lender had told us that even though we are in a community property state (louisiana), they can keep me off of the loan and only have to place my credit card debt towards our DTI. I have $100K in student loan debt and repaying under an income based program. They’re telling us that they can make it where my student loans don’t have to be included, however everything I’m reading says otherwise. I’m afraid we’re about to lose the money we’re paying for the earnest deposit and the house inspection when/if they tell us that they’re going to have to include my student loans. They said, “FHA is the only government backed loan that we don’t have to include your student loans on”. Any actual truth to this?!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
PrimeHokage
Established Member

Re: Non borrowing spouse, student loans, FHA, Louisiana

Hello I just went through a similar situation in Texas a community property state as well. My wife has about 80k in student loan debt and I was told that it wouldnt impact the dti if I could prove she had them before we were married which she did. Just gave them a copy of the marriage license and we were all good. Hope this helps.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

That gives me some relief hearing that. Did you all go FHA as well?
Message 3 of 4
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My husband and I are trying for an fha loan, first time buyers. The lender had told us that even though we are in a community property state (louisiana), they can keep me off of the loan and only have to place my credit card debt towards our DTI. I have $100K in student loan debt and repaying under an income based program. They’re telling us that they can make it where my student loans don’t have to be included, however everything I’m reading says otherwise. I’m afraid we’re about to lose the money we’re paying for the earnest deposit and the house inspection when/if they tell us that they’re going to have to include my student loans. They said, “FHA is the only government backed loan that we don’t have to include your student loans on”. Any actual truth to this?!

Hi there

I’ll let an expert answer about the FHA part because I’m surprised that student loan of non-borrowing spouse does not have to be included.

You will not lose your EMD if you’re not approved. Your sales contract is contingent on your getting financing. However, you will not be refunded your home inspection fee if you don’t get finan. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.