Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old collection accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old collection accounts

My wife and I are looking to build within 4 to six months . Currently our middle low score is 640. We were wondering about old charge off/ collection accounts we have from a few yrears ago. My wife has one for $1,700. From a credit card charge off from 4 years ago . I have two charge offs from 6 years ago , one $350 and the second $550 . We will meet with a mortgage broker next week . We wanted to know if we should just pay them off now or wait it out . We were not sure if paying them off at this point may make it worse . Thank you Falcon82
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Old collection accounts

I would hold off for now. Meet with the mortgage person first.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you , that's what we were thinking . We are just trying to find out what the norm is , what is usually expected with old issues like these . We are trying to get ahead of any possible surprises 😀
Message 3 of 17
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

There are two schools of thought on paying charge offs before making a mortgage application:

1) Pay it before you apply so you can negotiate a better deal with the CA. If you apply for a mortgage a mortgage inq will show on your report and the CA will be much less negotiable because they know you have to pay the charge off to close. BTW, you don't always have to pay. Depends on the lender and the size of the charge off.

If you can negotiate a pfd before you apply that is the best thing to do (if possible) Then the charge off is paid and not showing on your report.

2) Wait to see what the underwriter says about it.  You may not have to pay it at all.

Have you thought about just meeting with the mortgage person and showing him your reports and scores and finding out what their lender overlays are? That might be the best first step, that way you can wait to apply if they for sure need the CA paid off. That will give you time to negotiate without a lender pull on record. Lender pulls show up instantly -so there is no turning back (as far as the CA being able to see the inq) once you have had the lender check your credit.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think we will take your advice and speak with the mortgage person without pulling our credit .That seems to be a good way to go . Thank you once again ! We will let you know how it goes ....
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having collection deleted from the account in the past I can say yes meet with them but also if those can come off I would highly suggest doing so by either:

1) If possible see if the payment can be made to the original account holder/institution then dispute the collection items with the credit reporting companies as those records will now be invalid & against FCRA to be on your file.

2) Writing to the collection agency with "pay for delete" agreement.  This way it will come off but from your report entirely and will boost your score for lower interest.

I would start from there Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You !!!
Message 7 of 17
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

If this is a charge off that's being reported in the revolving/installment section of your report, you run the risk of the account updating and restarting the 7 year clock...and that will tank your scores.

Talk to a lender first. If they require you to pay it, ask if you can do it at closing.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do Thank you ,
Paying them now is not a problem at all ,as they are not very much $$. we just didn't know if that would help or not . We were more concerned about how a lender would look at it and if that would cause us not to qualify .
Message 9 of 17
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...opt-out of CRA selling your data well before you apply lest the CA scum start banging your reports after a mortgage inquiry

...paying a CA without a delete will not improve your credit scores ...fico doesn't differentiate between paid/unpaid collections

...be aware of what the HUD requirements are re collection accounts vs lender overlays ...if the lender is telling you to do something HUD doesn't require, think about changing lenders ...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/FHA-changing-collection-account-judgments-amp-dispute...

...I'd pfd every ca if possible ...the older the account the less you should offer to settle ...if its past your state's SoL, offer 15%, they can always counter

...if you can't get a pfd and HUD doesn't require you pay it, then its up to your best judgment ...as SO10 pointed out, lenders often require payment even when HUD doesn't ...but there are a lot of hungry lenders about ...hth 

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.