cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One month away from applying for FHA loan

tag
magman

One month away from applying for FHA loan

I am a month out from applying for a FHA loan, my TU score is 662 and my Equifax score is 639.  I was trying to get my Equifax score to atleast 640, but all of my credit cards and revolving accounts have a $0 balance.  Not sure what to do now.  I am still angry about an overlooked $107 dental bill that went to collections and cost me 42 points. I have tried to get it removed, but the CA and the dental office refuse to help.  If it wasn't for that I would be well on my way to the 700 club. Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One month away from applying for FHA loan

Put $5 on one of the credit cards. Righjt now you look credit dead and you loose a few points that way.

Message 2 of 9
namvet
Established Contributor

@magman wrote:

I am a month out from applying for a FHA loan, my TU score is 662 and my Equifax score is 639.  I was trying to get my Equifax score to atleast 640, but all of my credit cards and revolving accounts have a $0 balance.  Not sure what to do now.  I am still angry about an overlooked $107 dental bill that went to collections and cost me 42 points. I have tried to get it removed, but the CA and the dental office refuse to help.  If it wasn't for that I would be well on my way to the 700 club. Smiley Frustrated

Be sure to get all 3 FiCO scores from a source you can trust.  Once you make application for your morgage a tri-merge credit report will be pulled (EX.TU,EQ)  and the middle score will be used to qualify. 

Message 3 of 9
magman

I received my Equifax and TU scores from myfico.  I'm unsure about Experian since the score they provide is pretty much useless.

Message 4 of 9
magman

I just finished paying off over $30k of credit card/revolving debt.  So, I'm a little skeptical about putting anything  on a credit card right now, but I see your point.

Message 5 of 9
namvet
Established Contributor

www.annualcreditreport.com  Go here it's free for all 3 reports but no score. 

Message 6 of 9
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Don't have to put my, just a bit will due, you want less than 9% of one cards CL.  Just a couple percent will do.  It makes a pretty big difference in your score.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are about 3 weeks to a month away from applying as well. Our TU FICOs are 694/698 and our EQ FICOs are 658/669. Have no idea about EX. We have maxed what we can do through experimentation and listening to the folks on this board. 3 credit cards total, 2 with $0 balance and one with less than 2%.

Message 8 of 9
tammyjk
Regular Contributor

I have done what others have suggested and used my cards but paid them.  They key to this is using them, and paying them BEFORE your billing cycle ends.  I may get a tank of gas then wait a few days for it to post to my account.  Then pay it down to say 5 dollars.  It shows a payment larger than the min, yet with a very low balance.  You need to make payments and that is the key.  A wonderful lady at Equifax explained this to me and she has helped me get my score up almost 40 points in 3 mos.  She also explained that the whole conversation about what percentage to keep your usage to was pretty much wrong.  She explained that you really dont take a big hit unless you go over 49%.  Not 49 percent plus one penny as she put it.  I have found that she was correct on that also.  Bringing down the percentage to just under 10% does help but in my experience, it was only a few points. 

For me, knowing when the billing cycle ends and to get my payment posted before that day has helped tremondously.  Good luck.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.