Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for under water borrowers

tag
tiff
Regular Contributor

Options for under water borrowers

Hi I'm trying to refi my home. In a 8% conventional loan. Great credit scores. The home is coming in 21,000 lower than what's needed to refi. I need to know my options. The loan isn't owed by fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. What are my options for refinancing without destroying my credit score. I can afford the payment, but I'm throwing away lots of money.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Options for under water borrowers

Hi - no solutions here, but looking for answers, too! :-)   I have a 9+% loan on a property that is now State appraised  20K lower than what is owed on in.  Comps in this area are about what we owe. Haven't tried a re-fi as debt ratio is out of wack, but getting a re-fi would help the debt ratio (be able to pay down the CCards.).

Ideas from anyone would be wonderful...

Message 2 of 6
MissMia75
Frequent Contributor

@tiff wrote:
Hi I'm trying to refi my home. In a 8% conventional loan. Great credit scores. The home is coming in 21,000 lower than what's needed to refi. I need to know my options. The loan isn't owed by fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. What are my options for refinancing without destroying my credit score. I can afford the payment, but I'm throwing away lots of money.

Who is the Investor of your mortgage?

Starting Score: 06/2011 505 EX 523 Lender Pulled
Current Score: 08/2011 628 EX 575 Lender Pulled
11/14/2011 TU 584

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
***Closed on my home 05/18/2012***

Message 3 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

look into HARP 2.0

for fannie mae owned properties.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

any viable options if mortgage isn't backed by Freddie or Fannie?

Message 5 of 6
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@tiff wrote:

What is the balance of your loan and the approximate current value of the property?  Is it feasible to do a cash-in refi, in which you pay the $21,000 to bring down your loan balance to an 80% LTV ratio?

If you have a fairly large loan balance (e.g. $500,000), then if you were able to refi to a 4.5% loan, for example, you'd probably be able to recover that $21,000 in a few years.  It would mean some short term pocketbook pain, but would pay off in the long run.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.