cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of college looking for my first home .. advice?

tag
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Out of college looking for my first home .. advice?

Hey guys,

This is my first post in the mortgage section. I graduated from college a year ago and got a job that pays 82k a year - I am looking to buy my first home as a single person for now but getting married in a year or so. 

I really have no idea how the mortgage process goes .. typically what's the first step? I don't have a specific home in mind yet .. but with my income what could be the maximum amount a lender would feel comfortable giving me?

My credit is good .. my scores are around low 700s right now. 

Thanks for you in advance! 

Current Cards:
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jexxie
Valued Member

Re: Out of college looking for my first home .. advice?

I picked the wrong major! Lol!
Message 2 of 5
jexxie
Valued Member

Also, you can play around with the trulia affordability calculator and that cpyld give you an idea.
Message 3 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@altayar wrote:

Hey guys,

This is my first post in the mortgage section. I graduated from college a year ago and got a job that pays 82k a year - I am looking to buy my first home as a single person for now but getting married in a year or so. 

I really have no idea how the mortgage process goes .. typically what's the first step? I don't have a specific home in mind yet .. but with my income what could be the maximum amount a lender would feel comfortable giving me?

My credit is good .. my scores are around low 700s right now. 

Thanks for you in advance! 

Congratulations. I'm impressed to hear about your objective one year out of college. I owned home #2 before I got married so I know how that feels and I wish you much success.

$82,000/12=$6,833 [gross monthly income]

$6,833 * .43 = $2,938 [43% of your gross monthly income should cover your housing plus other expenses].

You did not mntion savings available for downpayment.

A $250,000 price with 10% down should run about $1,800 per month PITI [principal, interest, taxes, insurance]. I recommend that you don't go much higher than that if you want to have discretionary cash to enjoy your life and new life after your wedding.

Don't know were you are located but here in Northeast Florida, you can buy a pretty nice house for $250,000.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a loan officer the first thing I would ask is how much do you want to put down on your home? If you have a good amount of money saved to put down 20% go that route. You're offer will be stronger than someone bringing in 3.5% down. Also, you won't have to pay mortgage insurance.  

~ModCut, pizzadude, MyFICO moderator

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.