Did you mean: 

Overtime- Please help

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Overtime- Please help

wrote:
Single dad who would love to buy a home for my 3 children.

687 middle score.

Looking at Chfa, USDA, or FHA. I have about 20k to put down.

My debt-
6 credit cards all under 20% or paid off
1 car lease $469 a month

No collections.

Only issue is INCOME. My previous job my hourly rate was $19 an hour and overtime was all over the place at 20-50 hours a week. I’ve been at my current job for 7 months and I have consistent hours and overtime hours. Pay rate is $22.50 at 40 hours and overtime is 30 Hours a week. (Around $7400 gross monthly)

Tax Return info
2016: 58k
2017: 71k

This year I’m expected to make $88k

I live in Colorado and I wouldn’t be able to buy a house under $300k. So my question is what are my chances on getting approved for over $300k? Are they going to go by my current income/overtime or base what I qualify for off my 2016 & 2017 returns.

Will I have to wait another year? Been going crazy trying to find an answer and I’ve talked to a mortgage lender who was absolutely no help.

Thanks so much.

IMHO, your $469 lease is killing you. Are you close to the end of the lease where you can turn it in and get something around $200/mo? A lot of prospective purchasers dont realize that a carnote is a DTI ratio killer.

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 11 of 17
kc0039
Established Contributor

wrote:
I’m sorry you’re in the same situation. We went with a local mortgage broker, who is our home builder preferred lender. We gave them a shot first because they are giving $5k towards closing costs, etc.

Overtime is ridiculous. I don’t see why they are basing what I qualify for financially on my overtime finances in 2016/2017 when I’m making $15,000-$30,000 more this year, and nothing is projected to change.

I hope you have better luck.

You'll need a lender that understand how OT can be used to your advantage if your employer plays ball with us. If you need any help, feel free to PM me.

Licensed in IL
Message 12 of 17
seap74
Established Member

I know this isn't about what you asked - but as a single dad are you sure you can maintain working 70 hours/wk? if so, wow, I couldn't do that. That would kill me, lol. Good luck with the process.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve been doing it for 10 years lol just use to it I guess. Thank you!
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

No unfortunately not a year and a half ago I needed a truck to get to work (one hour commute) so I still have a year and a half on it to go.
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is an awful lot of money. Especially since you are already paying $470 on a depreciating asset.

I make about the same as you do, and can't imagine making mortgage payments like that.
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay in rent what my mortgage would be and I’ve never been late and still manage to put $2500 into savings every month, so I think I’m good. The real estate market where I live just keeps going up, up, up. Pretty soon I won’t be able to buy a house at all.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.