Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Owe $9000 in taxes for 2013 applying for a mortgage next week

tag
daddiggingout
Regular Contributor

Owe $9000 in taxes for 2013 applying for a mortgage next week

We are due to apply for a VA loan next week and our scores are in the 700s across the board.  We intend to set up a direct debit installment plan on Monday.  Does anyone know if an FHA or VA Loan will be denied for this new IRS arrangement?  We have no debt so our DTI will be solid.  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Owe $9000 in taxes for 2013 applying for a mortgage next week

Do they have a lien?

IME it takes some time for the IRS to accept and initiate a direct debit installment plan.

I have a 16k Fed Tax Lien

Message 2 of 11
daddiggingout
Regular Contributor

No lien.  I had assumed that signing up with the online direct debit [lan that we would be able to provide this as proof.  The IRS transcripts had no mention of a lien.  I wonder how the announced backlog within the IRS will affect mortgage apps in the next couple of months.

Message 3 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I am pretty sure the lender is going to want you to show actual payments made on the IRS installment agreement for X months (not sure of the minimum number acceptable) before you can get either a VA or FHA loan. Make sure your LO contacts the u/w at time of application to ask this question.  

Let me see if one of the others on here to address this question for you.

Message 4 of 11
daddiggingout
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the input. I contacted a lender yesterday and she said that given the fact that it is not a lien, that simply providing proof of the installment agreement should suffice. However, I am concerned that an underwriter will not be impressed.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Urgh, this is us. I'm hoping it doesn't mess us up at all. Come back & update when you know something from the underwriter, please.

Message 6 of 11
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Keep in mind that the agreed upon payments will be included in your DTI calculation.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 7 of 11
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

I am pretty sure the lender is going to want you to show actual payments made on the IRS installment agreement for X months (not sure of the minimum number acceptable) before you can get either a VA or FHA loan. Make sure your LO contacts the u/w at time of application to ask this question.  

Let me see if one of the others on here to address this question for you.

This is correct.  Any owing taxes, whether it's a tax lien or not, will need to be on a repayment plan with all payments made on time in order for an underwriter to be OK with it.  While technically just 1 payment needs to be made, we are seeing more and more lenders require at least 3 months of payments are made before approval.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shane, do you think the USDA would have the same requirements for a direct loan?

Message 9 of 11
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Yes I think they would.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.