Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMI Rate FHA versus Conventional

tag
maryellis1981
Valued Member

PMI Rate FHA versus Conventional

Hi Everyone,

I heard from a friend of mine who recently purchsed a home that the FHA PMI rate is higher than the conventional PMI rate, is this true?  When I am ready to buy I will have 5% dp, my LO said I can get a conventional with this down-payment.  Should I just go with the conventional?  What generally are the interest rates between a conventional and FHA?  Are they generally similar?  I'm trying to figure out which mortgage option would be best financially.

My credit is in the low 700's.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: PMI Rate FHA versus Conventional

FHA Rates are lower - conventional PMI is usually lower (depends on scores)

5% down punch out the numebrs for both and see which makes sense

There is also a new option some banks have where you can make a one time upfront payment (similar to fhas funding fee) and not have a monthly PMI payment

B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.