Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paranoid?

tag
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Paranoid?

The builder wants me to give them some of my personal info, including checking account statements, to submit to the county for some kind of fee rebate. 

A) Not wild about some county worker having access to all of my personal info, including SS#, income verification, and bank statements.  Feels very "big brother"

B) The county puts a lien on my house for 7 years for the rebate, so it's out of MY pocket if I sell my house before then (builder pays the fee as part of closing)

C) Did I mention that they will have access to ALL of my personal financial info???

Top it off with 2 of the forms, the builder wanted notarized without being complete ("oh, we fill in the dates later") which the notary refused to do (and I agreed). 

Paranoid or just part of the invasive blood-letting that is "mortgage"?

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Paranoid?

@thankfulheart wrote:

The builder wants me to give them some of my personal info, including checking account statements, to submit to the county for some kind of fee rebate. 

A) Not wild about some county worker having access to all of my personal info, including SS#, income verification, and bank statements.  Feels very "big brother"

B) The county puts a lien on my house for 7 years for the rebate, so it's out of MY pocket if I sell my house before then (builder pays the fee as part of closing)

C) Did I mention that they will have access to ALL of my personal financial info???

Top it off with 2 of the forms, the builder wanted notarized without being complete ("oh, we fill in the dates later") which the notary refused to do (and I agreed). 

Paranoid or just part of the invasive blood-letting that is "mortgage"?

If you want the fee rebate and it helps you, then do it.  Otherwise, don't. 

There is no way in HECK I would notorize something not completely filled out.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

+1000

No blanks at all....

Message 3 of 5
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

good for the notary!  I would contact the appropriate county department directly, and talk to them.  Public records where I live are supposed to be redacted -- no social security numbers. Howver, if legit, you may very well need to supply your ss# to get the rebate.  I mean, the government already has  your social security number, right?  Find out if you can submit the paperwork directly to the county yourself. 

Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Cloudlb wrote:

good for the notary!  I would contact the appropriate county department directly, and talk to them.  Public records where I live are supposed to be redacted -- no social security numbers. Howver, if legit, you may very well need to supply your ss# to get the rebate.  I mean, the government already has  your social security number, right?  Find out if you can submit the paperwork directly to the county yourself. 

+1

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.