cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off car loan before mortgage application?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off car loan before mortgage application?

Hello,

My wife and I are saving and budgeting this year with a goal of home ownership by this time next year.  My FICO score is 802 and hers is 766.  We both have good incomes.  $0 CC balances.

She's paying off a college loan and a car loan, and I've got a car loan.  My payoff is $6k, and I'm paying $400 monthly at 0% interest.  By the time we're looking at mortgages, I'll have paid all but about $2k-$3k. 

Should I just pay off the loan, or save that money for a down payment and closing costs?   Housing prices are quite high here, so we'll probably have enough for 10% down by the end of the year.  

I'm just wondering if it would be better to show less debt or monthly payments, more cash on hand, or if it will really matter with a low payoff amount.

Thoughts are appreciated.

THANKS!  

Message Edited by FICOScott on 05-09-2008 06:25 PM

Message Edited by FICOScott on 05-09-2008 06:34 PM
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Pay off car loan before mortgage application?

i would rather see you with some liquid assets or reserves..... unless your debt ratio is too high, then I would have to advise you to pay off debt.
i dont care what you owe.... i care what the payment it.

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay it down to less than 10 payments remaining then it won't count against your DTI and you will have the extra cash and not lose the couple of points that you would lose if you lost the good mix of credit.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. 

It looks like I have 14 payments remaining - and we won't be doing anything for 6 months or so, so if that 10 months rule applies, I should be OK.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

1111mel wrote:
Pay it down to less than 10 payments remaining then it won't count against your DTI and you will have the extra cash and not lose the couple of points that you would lose if you lost the good mix of credit.

if it is more than $100(significant) then it is still used on fha

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.