cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off or refinance before mortgage app?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off or refinance before mortgage app?

Hi everyone! First, thank you to everyone who posts on these boards. You have all helped me so much. I lurk around here a lot, but this will be my first post.

In August 2018, I bought a car. My credit score was terrible (mid 500's) so I am paying a lot in interest. My payment is $388/month. After that, I finally decided to start working on raising my credit. 9 months later, my score is 625 and rising.

I have decided that I want to buy a home. I am shooting for December 2020. My scores should be where I want them by then. I have a little over a year and a half to get everything ready. I need some advice on what to do with my car loan, though.

$388 is a large payment. It is raising my debt to income, thereby lowering what a lender would allow me to pay monthly for a mortgage. Should I:

Pay off my car loan over the next year and a half? That would lower my debt to income, which would increase my possible mortgage payment, allowing for a larger loan. The only problem is that my car loan is my only installment loan. I assume my credit score would drop, since part of a credit score is mix of accounts. I have 2 open credit cards.

Refinance my loan. My lender doesn't refinance, so I'd have to go to another bank. My credit has improved, so I believe I could get a lower payment, which would help my debt to income. However, wouldn't that be a new account? That would lower my age of accounts, and be a hard pull, which would lower my credit score.

I was also thinking that I could pay extra on my loan to where I'd be paying it off a month or two after I get a mortgage. I could then explain to whoever I get the mortgage from my situation, tell them the loan will be paid off very soon, and ask them to not figure it in to my debt to income. Does anyone even think that would work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8
AZEsq
Regular Contributor

Re: Pay off or refinance before mortgage app?

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi everyone! First, thank you to everyone who posts on these boards. You have all helped me so much. I lurk around here a lot, but this will be my first post.

In August 2018, I bought a car. My credit score was terrible (mid 500's) so I am paying a lot in interest. My payment is $388/month. After that, I finally decided to start working on raising my credit. 9 months later, my score is 625 and rising.

I have decided that I want to buy a home. I am shooting for December 2020. My scores should be where I want them by then. I have a little over a year and a half to get everything ready. I need some advice on what to do with my car loan, though.

$388 is a large payment. It is raising my debt to income, thereby lowering what a lender would allow me to pay monthly for a mortgage. Should I:

Pay off my car loan over the next year and a half? That would lower my debt to income, which would increase my possible mortgage payment, allowing for a larger loan. The only problem is that my car loan is my only installment loan. I assume my credit score would drop, since part of a credit score is mix of accounts. I have 2 open credit cards.

Refinance my loan. My lender doesn't refinance, so I'd have to go to another bank. My credit has improved, so I believe I could get a lower payment, which would help my debt to income. However, wouldn't that be a new account? That would lower my age of accounts, and be a hard pull, which would lower my credit score.

I was also thinking that I could pay extra on my loan to where I'd be paying it off a month or two after I get a mortgage. I could then explain to whoever I get the mortgage from my situation, tell them the loan will be paid off very soon, and ask them to not figure it in to my debt to income. Does anyone even think that would work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi: 

Glad you're here, lurking and learning! You have a lot of scenarios and marginal credit still. The first thing that I would do is pull your actual FICO scores. If your credit score is low due to a thin file with high utilization, it's one thing. If your credit score is low due to a rash of late payments and charge offs, it's another. You absolutely can get a mortgage with scores in the 620 range. If you're a first time homebuyer with low income, you'll likely want to look into FHA programs; however, for the best interest rates--which, as you have realized affect your buying power by raising or lowering your monthly payment--you'll want scores over 740. That will take time and work. 

You have a year and a half, and it's doable unless you have BK, chargeoffs, and collections on your file that aren't aged to drop off your report prior to your application. 

To get your file where you'd like it, you'd ideally have a clean credit report with no chargeoffs or collections; pull your credit report yourself (it sounds like you have already) and get to work. (1) If you have chargeoffs or collections, and especially if they are old, I'd search the forums for "pay for delete" contacts. MAKE SURE YOU CONTACT THESE CREDITORS TO PFD BEFORE YOU APPLY FOR A MORTGAGE! If you wait until after, they'll hold out for full payment and often refuse to delete because they know that many (not all) loan officers would require the collections paid to approve the mortgage. (2) I would then make sure you have 3 active revolving tradelines that are not installment loans. You need to make sure that you have self-control and understand credit. If you don't and you've had problems in the past, be very, very careful with this. You should keep these cards reporting at zero (charging something small once a month to keep them active, but not "using" them) until close to the time to app. Then, you should make sure one card reports a small balance (typically 8% of it's limit)--this needs to be a true credit card, not a store card or otherwise branded card.

As to the vehicle. 1) Your credit scores are still too low and the loan too new to get a decent rate on a refinance unless you have a co-signer. I'd keep paying on it as agreed for a few months while you work on cleaning up your credit; 2) By December, with no undeleted collection/charge offs or BKs, you should have scores in the 700 range. Then and only then, look for a new lender to refinance with. Because your credit file is newish, you'll probably get the best rates with a credit union, which I highly recommend. Open an account with one of hte recommended ones if you can get in (PenFed, DCU or Navy Federal). Their rates are still fairly competitive, though rising, on auto refinances.

If you do this in December 2019, you should have scores right where you need them to be in December 2020. Presuming that you don't max out your credit cards and buy a bunch of stuff you don't need in the months running up to your app Smiley Wink (Basically, act like the cards don't exist except to use them enough to keep them from canceling for inactivity).

Keep lurking--I'd check out the credit card forums for tips on scores and application changes on a couple of new cards IF you don't have 3 open revolving accounts that you are the primary on. Most mortgage brokers/loan officers discount cards that you're merely an AU on, though it can help your utilization and your score a lot, so it's worth being on if you have high utilization. 

Anywhoo, good luck!

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for the reply. That was a ton of great information.

The only thing dragging my score down is defaulted student loans from about 5 years ago. I am currently in the process of rehabbing them. In July I'll be done with that, and the default will be removed from my report. Hopefully my score will go up a bit. I'm then going to spam Good Will letters and try and get the lates removed.

I'm definitely going to take your advice on getting another card, and waiting to refinance until later in the year. I had never considered a credit union, but I absolutely will now.

Again, thank you!
Message 3 of 9
MovingOnward
Valued Member

Have you considered paying down your loan but keeping a small balance on it, enough to keep making payments through the time you're applying for a mortgage? That way your installment loan stays open, and your DTI ratio looks good, too Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Paying it off wouldn't be bad---especially if you have a high interest rate--you'll save a bunch of money.

Or you could pay extra principle to the point that you'll only have 6, 7 or 8 more payments left on it by the time you go to apply for your mortgage loan next year so that a lender can be in a position to 'exclude' that liability since there will be < 10 payments left on it.

(Some UW's may pull a "crazy Ivan" and require you to pay it off because if you want to exclude it because it is a significant debt payment and FNMA allows for UW discretion.....)    Murphy's Law would have me prepare you to pay it off or be ready to do so...

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MovingOnward wrote:

Have you considered paying down your loan but keeping a small balance on it, enough to keep making payments through the time you're applying for a mortgage? That way your installment loan stays open, and your DTI ratio looks good, too Smiley Happy

I have thought about that. I think it would look good for my total debt amount, but I would still be paying almost $400 a month. My monthly bills would still be abnormally high, leaving me with less to pay a mortgage.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NC_Mtg_Loaner wrote:

Paying it off wouldn't be bad---especially if you have a high interest rate--you'll save a bunch of money.

Or you could pay extra principle to the point that you'll only have 6, 7 or 8 more payments left on it by the time you go to apply for your mortgage loan next year so that a lender can be in a position to 'exclude' that liability since there will be < 10 payments left on it.

(Some UW's may pull a "crazy Ivan" and require you to pay it off because if you want to exclude it because it is a significant debt payment and FNMA allows for UW discretion.....)    Murphy's Law would have me prepare you to pay it off or be ready to do so...

Paying it down and seeing if they'd not include it for mortgage was actually my preferred choice. Do you know if anyone would do that? Have you ever seen it?

Message 7 of 9
AZEsq
Regular Contributor

This is what you do: Make all extra payments to principal and keep paying until you get under, say $2,000 (or 10% of loan balance, you didn't say what it was). Then, make a large extra payment without designating it to go to principal. When you do this, your amount due will go to $0. Because you've paid so much principal, they will recalculate your payment based on your original maturity date and your payment will be very low. Additionally, if your maturity date is less than 10 months away, the entire amount can be excluded. Your actual best bet is to pay extra to principal and then pay one large extra payment the month before you app so you report a very low or $0 payment. Yes, they will check it again, but if you've paid it down enough, your new payment should be very, very low. You don't give details, but I did this and my SL reported a payment due of $13 on $2.8K balance- Soooo it works. The thing is it has to be timed appropriately AND you have to make sure that the big payment is NOT made to principal, otherwise it won't "advance your due date" AKA lower your monthly payment so they can make more money off of the interest you pay.

Message 8 of 9
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NC_Mtg_Loaner wrote:

Paying it down and seeing if they'd not include it for mortgage was actually my preferred choice. Do you know if anyone would do that? Have you ever seen it?

Yes.   Excluding a liability with < 10 payments left is a standard practice for conventional loans as I stated earlier.   If you have sufficient savings in the form of reserves, you are less apt to see the UW require it to be paid off in order to be excluded from the DTI.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.