Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off 7 month old collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off 7 month old collection

So need some advice, had a phone plan with ATT by the time i realized i hadn't paid it was sent to collection. Now i'm trying to buy a house and i called them to take care of the balance but they won't delete it off my credit  even willing to pay it off the same day. I was told if i pay it now it will take points off my score which i can't allow that to happen. So what are my options? 

4 REPLIES 4
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: Paying off 7 month old collection

Is it a legitimate claim?

Then pay it I say.   Since it occurred within the last two years it's a derogatory account that holds your score back from being its best.  Pay it ASAP so that it will at least show as paid zero balance and your score can quickly recover. 

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

May i ask who the collection is with bc i recently had a similiar situation?

Message 4 of 5
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

Based on my experience, any collection placed on your credit within the last 12 months has the most significant impact on your score. I always tell my clients to pay it if you want to increase your scores. If you can get a pay to delete even better. Any collections older than that I usually tell my clients don't pay it unless you can get a PTD. Most lenders no longer require collections or charge offs to be paid off anymore. Sometimes it better to leave sleeping dogs lying right where they are.

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.