Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help me understand

tag
203bravo
Established Contributor

Please Help me understand

Exactly why do we CHOOSE to put ourselves through this house buying process?  I'm keeping the Nexium company in business right now  Woman Surprised

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please Help me understand

I wish I could answer that for you. I have a clear to close and a scheduled date and time and I am still a mess... Smiley Surprised

Message 2 of 11
203bravo
Established Contributor

oh that's not encouraging... i think i'll be much better after the intial shock of the offer price once it's over and done with -- I hope????

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea you will Smiley Happy I think that what keeps all of us going is the end result. I know I have wanted to throw in the towel a few times but then I just kept going because I wanted it that bad.

And don't worry, the shock will wear off Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 11
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Boy I feel your pain!   It just makes me sick to think we won't end up in a house at this time because of the low prices.  I hate to think that I will keep throwing my money away in rent year after year after year.  I'd also like to be a homeowner before I hit the big 4-0.

MYFICO forum has been my lifeline through all of this.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I believe that anything is possible. I also believe that if you really want something, you fight for it.

In October of 2010 my fiance and I had awful credit, think early 500s. It never occured to me how important it is to keep track of your CCs, your Credit Score and report. I decided to roll up my sleeves and work to fix both of our scores. Presently our midscores pulled by our LO were 696 and 642.

Don't get me wrong, there have been a lot of tears, fights, struggles, sleepless nights. I have been on edge and will continue to be until I get the keys in my hand (and I'm running out of the attorney's office before they can change their mind, lol).  At one point I even thought the deal was going to fall through because it was two weeks until our contingency deadline and we had to switch lenders. It was crazy!! And two days before our deadline we were given a commitment letter by our new company, who we were already preapproved with. 

Don't lose hope, it will happen for you when it is your time! I have read so many posts from people who went through what we are going through now, and its comforting to know you aren't alone.

Message 6 of 11
203bravo
Established Contributor

Well -- now under contract and on to the wonderful world of underwriting.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think we choose to buy homes for financial security, for the idea of owning a building and a piece of land that (theoretically) cannot be taken away (as long as we make payments on it), for the stability of knowing financially what to expect in the future and that our privacy is guaranteed (no snooping landlords).  And, if you play your cards right and can pay off the home before retirement, then you have the comfort of a home in your older years when your other expenses may be greater.

I think some buy a home because it is expected.

Because that's what "grown-ups" do.

Because that's what "successful" people do.

I don't think one has to buy a house for those reasons, though it might be a part of it. 

Heck, I'm just looking forward to being able to paint my walls any color I choose, to hang pictures up, to plant a garden, to have party or two and to get a second dog at some point. Things I've never been allowed to do while renting.

Message 8 of 11
203bravo
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think we choose to buy homes for financial security, for the idea of owning a building and a piece of land that (theoretically) cannot be taken away (as long as we make payments on it), for the stability of knowing financially what to expect in the future and that our privacy is guaranteed (no snooping landlords).  And, if you play your cards right and can pay off the home before retirement, then you have the comfort of a home in your older years when your other expenses may be greater.

I don't think one has to buy a house for those reasons, though it might be a part of it. 

Heck, I'm just looking forward to being able to paint my walls any color I choose, to hang pictures up, to plant a garden, to have party or two and to get a second dog at some point. Things I've never been allowed to do while renting.

now that's the answer i like best  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Basically. I am young, probably one of the younger members on here, and that is a large part of why I am buying one. Yes, there is quite a bit of financial security in owning a house, but by and large, it is just what people do. It is what is expected of you, especially here in the midwest where housing is relatively cheap. Just about the first thing everyone does when they get to that point in life where they are financially able is buy a house.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.