cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help! Old judgement! He is under contract!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please help! Old judgement! He is under contract!

Help! I need help! Please! Okay, so my father is under contract and he just had a judgement for 57k pop up from 2011 (state vs. him) but they do not garnish his wages and it is not on his credit report (middle score 744). He was going to do a conventional loan but because of the judgement i have read that fha may approve you if you have a payment plan established with at least 3 months of on time payments. My current lender said that unless it is an irs debt no lender will approve this transaction even with the 3 months of on time payments. He is supposed to close on march 15th but he could have closing pushed back to april so that he can make a payment for February then March then April. Is this even possible?? Should i contact a different lender or is this a dead deal?? Any advice or help on what to do would be so so appreciated!! (Btw he does not have enough to pay the debt off and for down payment and closing costs)

7 REPLIES 7
JVille
Valued Contributor

Re: Please help! Old judgement! He is under contract!

He needs to gather all the documents regarding this and seek advice from a Lawyer. I'm going to assume because it's the state this is not going to go away. But legal advice ASAP is needed. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

We know its not going to just go away. But my question is more for a mortgage, would he still be able to get his mortgage or no? He has no problem paying it but does not have the money all at once right now, but would set up a payment plan.

Message 3 of 8
JVille
Valued Contributor

Not likely, that's why he needs to see a lawyer ASAP to see what his options are. 

Message 4 of 8
barca
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous 

check your state statue on judgement.

Some states I think judgement is only valid for 10 years unless renewed.

if it is January 2011 , it is 2021 now, so 10 years is gone and the judgement might have run its course.

was your father aware of this judgement before or it  was a total suprise?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprise and its 20 years here

Message 6 of 8
barca
Regular Contributor

Double check it is 20 years straight.

It seems in some states it is 10 years  + another 10 year if renewed . Making a total of 20 years.

if it is not renewed after 10 years , then the total 20 years will not hold.

Message 7 of 8
JVille
Valued Contributor

As stated he needs to discuss this with a Lawyer. If the "State" has a Judgement it's unlikely it will go away. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.