Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post mortgage life

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Post mortgage life

I woke this morning, watched the news and took a walk/jog over the golf course that my backyard borders.  Finished that I stepped inside all sweaty.  My wife exclaimed, 

"Don't be coming in here all sweaty'

"you use to like me sweaty"

"No I didn't"

"that was just a ruse??"

We have been in our new home going on 2 weeks and things are settling down.  We still have boxes to sort through, but the garage has been vastly thinned of such things.  The lay of the land looks like this-I have claimed the upstairs, which was always the plan.  The 2nd floor bath is darker granite, tiles, and cabinets for a more masculine look. The "bonus" room has been turned into a man cave with a sports theme, with a flat screen and couch, one of the 3 bedrooms is now a office sporting memorabila from my fire dept career.

I sit in my office looking at the brown accordion folder that contains all the documents of our mortgage process.  Not opened it in days, I couldn't tell you what the interest rate is, I use to check that everyday.   I ride by the model home office and see the agent's car outside, and think of all the people who were involved in the process.  They have all moved on to other clients, and soon I'll be long forgotten.

For 7 months I concentrated on what needed to be done next to make sure my file gets through, but in reality mine was pretty straight forward.  I think they call that a "clean file" in the business.  For those with blemishes on their file don't lose sleep over it.  In fact, best advice I can give is live your life when you go in the process.  Mine took 7 months because we were building a house, it started in mid Fall and ended 2 weeks before the Fourth of July.  All through Christmas, and the dark days of winter, we watched our home being built.  By spring they were inside and trimming it out.  All the while the money people kept a eye on my file.  

During that time we enjoyed the Holidays, made 2 trips to the beach, and enjoyed our friends and our last days on Primrose Drive.  I left the everday things to the people that do that stuff for a living.  If they need something, let them call me, otherwise I got stuff to do, like ride my motorcycles.

We have a lot of new furniture, to blend with the old.  DW has a excellent eye for decorating and already our home looks like we've living here 3 years.  At the walk through our builder told me-

"look here, we are going to miss things.  Living here you will find things that need fixing that only living in house you will notice.  Its just the way it is.  I've been building houses 25 years, million dollar homes to govt assitance deals, and stuff always need checking.  All we ask is you notify us first.  We will be in the community for at least another year, so I have crews nearby. "

We had NO hot water in the master bath, and low pressure.  I called my agent, and he called one of the building supt. and a plumber was on the scene 2 hrs later.  The dryer connection was upside down, and fixed the next day.  Our home is beautiful and we are very satisfied, a lot of nice things were standard and we added touches (= more money LOL).  A steady stream of friends and family keep stopping in to see us and the house.

At the closing we had oatmeal cookies, peanuts and cold drinks per my request.  Lawyer said that was awesome.  After signing all those papers we were hungry so DW and I went to Longhorn where we split a T bone and soaked in what we had just done.  She had a watermelon margarita.  I didn't even know they made such.  Next day hte agent called and I mentioned-

"yanno y'all made enough money of me, I shoulda gotta gift card for a steak dinner before leaving.  I had to buy it myself at longhorn"

"y'all went to longhorn when you left the office?"

"yeah, y'all can give out the card at the end of everything and say "here, enjoy a steak dinner on the company, our personal thank you"

"Thats a good idea"

Next day he called me. "Come by here I got something for ya"  It was a gift card to Outback.  50 big ones.

DW is calling me.

"Help me with this box?"

"Be right there"

There is a life after closing.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
leahkline86
New Contributor

Re: Post mortgage life

I remember what that is like and can't wait for that day for us! We still have about 1 year and 3-6 months. However, I know it will be here before I know it. Everytime we have closed on a house it was always just blissful for the first few months after. Such an exciting time getting settled in your new home. Congrats! Can't wait for our turn. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

OH bama. You kill me. I hope that book is comin out of that office!

Message 3 of 8
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Love it!!!  I'm happy you all are settling in.  but, you missed one important detail....how is Lil Bit doing???

At least hot water is your only issue.  The builder had to pull up all of our sod and put down new.  our upstairs a/c stopped cooling...the hvac people came and fixed it within 2 mins (apparently, it was a loose wire).

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 4 of 8
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OH bama. You kill me. I hope that book is comin out of that office!

...I'm in for a signed first edition ...'cause I think there will be more than one Smiley Wink

...and Bama ...please keep posting ...your sig is one I always look for when opening this forum.

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Frugal is curious so asked-

"how is Lil Bit doing???"

Lil Bit is fine, and like us, glad to be out of the Extended Stay.  The first few days he would not come out from under the bed, and he still wakes us at 4am to be fed.

He went outside for the first time this morning for 2 hrs.  I kept him inside for 8 days in order for him to learn this is the new home and where his people are before turning him loose.  Our small backyard borders fields and meadows and then the golf course. The HOA does not allow chain link fencing so no dogs.  It is a cat paradise.

A few years ago a moma cat, starving and desperate for help showed up in our backyard on Primrose with a litter of kittens.  We took her in and found everyone a home.  Had the moma cat fixed and shots, and found her a home, but Lil Bit instantly attached himself to me and claimed us his people.  Noway we give him away.

He roamed Primrose Drive, complete with its noisy neighbors, apts, hundreds of dogs, and semi busy street, and now has new digs to patrol.  

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yesterday was a busy day.  Unpacked more boxes and finished my office.  I bought a new desk from office depot, it came in 300 pieces.  I'd never seen anything like it.  It took me a week to assemble it.  Remember the days when went to the local store and bought a desk and they put it on your truck and you drove home with it?  Right off the showroom floor.

Most importantly I retrieved my 3 motorcycles from the storage place. That was a amazing place.  Rows and rows of storage rooms, I'm sure some rent 3 or 4 such units.  How we come to have so much stuff I don't know. A person must not be afraid to part with things, if you are you will find yourself in one these places, paying rent on stuff, months on end, that if you sold in a flew market might make 200 dollars.  You cannot look at what you paid for it back in the day, you have to see the value in it NOW.  If you put something in storage, you don't need it, so get rid of it and stop the bleeding.

We have cleared enough boxes in our 3 car garage to make room for my bikes so I told DW-

"I need ya to take me to the storage thing, so I can bring my bikes home"

"you make it sound like they're your kids"

"well...they have been lonely the last few few weeks"

That took over a hour, pick one up, drop off, go get another.  I have 3 total and all safely tucked away now.

Lunch was the Panda Inn, and like everything now, just a couple minutes from our new house.

I asked DW while eating

"what we gotta do this afternoon"

"I'm gonna work on the bedroom upstairs", which I have nicknamed the "girly room."

"I've been meaning to quiz ya on that.  How come I have the man thing upstairs with my office, bonus room, and #1 bedroom, and bedroom #2 has gone girly?

"well I get at least one room to fix up just like I want"

"you already did that in the master bedroom"

"That doesn't count"

Bedroom 2 has antique white furniture, and pastel linens, those little girl figures and pictures, also a few pics of us back in the day, and our nieces.

"I want a room so when our nieces visit they feel welcome."

We eat supper (when we don't eat out) on our new dining room table. The table is big so we crowd to one end.  Its one of those informal tables with a bench seat on one side, and the rest chairs.  It is a light color wood with coastal color chairs.  This is the south and light colors work best here, or so they say.  Last night it was chicken and rice, and after a day of moving it went down well.  We are still getting use to "open concept" we feel like we're eating in a auditorium LOL  A big space for just the 2 of us.

Primose seems far away, and long ago, when it reality it has only been a few weeks.  We shall see what the future brings.

Message 7 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Your new home and post closing life sounds wonderful! Would like to see a couple of pics if you have time and the inclination Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.