Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Approval - Tax returns vs. Tax transcripts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre-Approval - Tax returns vs. Tax transcripts

Curious if there is a difference when getting pre-approved. I see where the last 2 years of Tax returns with all schedules and pages are requested. If I have the transcripts for the last 2 years will that be OK or do I need to send exactly the 2 returns with all schedules and pages?

3 REPLIES 3
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: Pre-Approval - Tax returns vs. Tax transcripts

Depends on the lender and the comfortability of the underwriter underwriting your loan. I had one where we got the transcripts, BUT the letter has to be opened in front of the processor to ensure that nothing was tampered.

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 4
Threeof5
New Contributor

My underwriter will usually condition for tax transcripts if the borrower is self-employed, especially if they use one company as a passthrough, and then W-2 themselves. It's another way of verifying income.

A word of caution. If your LO does have you fill out a 4506-T form (the tax transcript request), make sure it is PRECISELY correct. They take five days on average to process and if so much as a "Ln" or "Ave" is out of place, gets it rejected and you have to start all over again. Yes, it drives the LO, and the borrowers, crazy.

Starting 12/27/16 FICO Score 8 EQ 645 TU 643 EX 618
Current 6/27/17 FICO Score 8 EQ 797 TU 804 EX 782

Goal 740+ ACHIEVED 4/5/17 FICO Score 8 EQ 776 TU 762 EX 748
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Curious if there is a difference when getting pre-approved. I see where the last 2 years of Tax returns with all schedules and pages are requested. If I have the transcripts for the last 2 years will that be OK or do I need to send exactly the 2 returns with all schedules and pages?

Sometimes transcripts can be used in lieu of tax returns.  Just depends on how complicated the returns are.  I had a client who only had their transcripts, I was happy to review them (we'll order our own to verify of course) but it was a complex transcript with Schedule C's & E's and so it was impossible to decipher without the actual return... in that situation, returns were needed.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.