Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Approval and commitment letter

tag
Rockpea
Established Member

Pre-Approval and commitment letter

We're planning to have a home built.  I got a preapproval for the amount of the home.  I was asked by the guy from the lender for our social to pull credit report and he asked what does my husband and I make.  Then we were sent the preapproval.  After visiting the home community and picking things out, the price of home increased.  I spoke with guy at lender and that's when I submitted all the information, W-2s, income tax returns, pay stubs and whatever else.  He then issued a another preapproval.  He said everything looked great and I see that he CC'ed an underwriter.  I called and asked the person at the home community what did we need for them to get started, and was told a commitment letter.  Is this the same as the preapproval I got?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Pre-Approval and commitment letter

If you are working with the builder's preferred lender, they will provide you with what they need. If you are using an outside lender, I recommend you show the sales agent what you have and ask if that's what they need.

Word of advise if working with an outside lender....make sure you ensure your lender and the builder have an open line of communication.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pre-Approval and commitment letter

@frugalQ wrote:
If you are working with the builder's preferred lender, they will provide you with what they need. If you are using an outside lender, I recommend you show the sales agent what you have and ask if that's what they need.

Word of advise if working with an outside lender....make sure you ensure your lender and the builder have an open line of communication.

+1

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.