cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre Qualify vs pre approval? So confused!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre Qualify vs pre approval? So confused!!

Ok guys, here's the scanario:

We have met with our lender who gathered ALL of our documents (tax returns, pay stubs, bank statements,ect) and we filled out the mortgage application. We also gave her letters of explanations for some old negatives that have been paid. We furnished proof for every large deposit in our bank acct for the last few months and at the end of that meeting she said ok guys, it should take about 4-5 days and I'll get back to you.

Ok so its been 4-5 days and I'm expecting a pre approval letter and when I contacted her she said "I'm gonna send your realtor a pre qual letter so you guys can start looking and you should be ok to look in the range of the $130's" 

So today we are meeting with our realtor and I feel a bit unarmed and unprepared. I would feel so much better with a pre APPROVAL letter. Isn't that why she collected all of that info from us?

I emailed her again this morning asking her if she could email me a letter or something so I could see where we are and how we stand and she emailed me back saying, " I can send you some payments for different price ranges so you know about what you want to look at".

Am I missing something?? What was the purpose of her getting all of that info from us and filling out the application?

THX!

Michelle

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pre Qualify vs pre approval? So confused!!

From the way I understand it, a prequal is just a general overview of your situation and how much you can afford.  Once you get a home you are interested in, they then can issue a preapproval for that specific address after doing alittle more in depth analysis of your situation. Every bank/broker is different but this is the explanation I was given by our LO at Chase.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.