Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preapproval and DTI

tag
Harmony12
Frequent Contributor

Preapproval and DTI

I plan to apply for a mortgage preapproval in November 2020 and would like to close around July 2021 but I’m worried about my DTI. I would like to purchase a home at about $250k - $300k but property taxes are extremely expensive and can add another $450 - $700 per month to escrow. 

Income is about $66k.

I have about $75K in student loans and on an IBR. 

I recently paid off my credit cards from 80% utilization to AZEO less than 7% utilization. 

I have an auto loan payment of around $350 with an interest rate of 9.31% and about 48 months remaining. Remaining balance about $13.5k. 

I started saving $1k/month for either down payment or closing costs. By June I should have $8K saved and an additional $4K that can be released from stock plan (no penalities or fees).

I would like to go for a USDA loan or conventional loan. Is it possible to lower my DTI enough?

Starting CK FAKOS 6/28/2018
TU 503
EQ 498
Discover EX 537

FICO 8
7/7/18 05/24/21
EQ 557 701
TU 566 715
EX 514 711

Mortgage Scores FICO 5,4,2
7/7/18 05/24/21
EQ 494 685
TU 480 703
EX 479 693

Goal Score 720
2 REPLIES 2
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Re: Preapproval and DTI

My first thought, if you aren't looking to actually close on a home in July 2021, I am not sure that getting preapproval in November makes sense.  Often times the pre-approval is good for 60-90 days before they have to pull your credit scores again and have another inquiry.  You would be better off, IMHO, waiting until closing the time that you want to close before you start trying to get pre-approval.  Timing can be tough, and I know I have been eager to get my pre-approval myself,  but there is no reason to do it greater than 3 months out. 

Now for the DTI questions, I don't know your actual DTI because 7% utilization on the credit cards doesn't really give me the full picture.  I dont know how USDA counts the student loans, some lenders will use 1% of the loan amount others less and some will go with the IBR payment amount.  What do you current scores look like?  This will impact the rates you get which can change the DTI calculation as well.  

If I were you I would focus on getting a bit more of those student loans paid down and getting the car paid off and then trying to get a fatter savings account.  As it stands right now, even if you get financing you will be cutting things close just in terms of breathing room.   Believe me, I know how eager one can be to get a home, renting can really be a bummer.  I too was tempted in the past to try to buy a home when I wasn't really financially in the right spot, so I am not judging at all.  What I will say is I am extremely glad that I didn't rush into a home and end up house poor.  Even now I have had to stop myself from just going ahead with getting a home and then losing money by paying off my current lease, so I absolutely get you and wish the best with your home buying journey. 

Message 2 of 3
Harmony12
Frequent Contributor

Re: Preapproval and DTI

@sxa001 

I’m thinking of doing a new construction and they can take 6-8 months to build; so that’s the reason for the early preapproval.

Car loan, student loan, and CC are my only debts. I saw that USDA will count 0.5% payment agreement amount which seems like an IBR agreement but I’m unsure. My current mortgage scores FICO 5,4,2 are: 609, 620, 607.

My original goal was to have my car and student loans paid off before a mortgage but things in my life have drastically changed. I also wanted more savings to avoid PMI but it’s just not an option right now. My original goal is no longer attainable. However, I am paying an extra $200 a month towards my car and I thought about using the money I was saving for downpayment/closing costs and putting it towards my car pay off. I even thought about the possibility of refinancing my auto for a better rate and lower payment. I would love to not have an auto loan when purchasing my home but I don’t want to get rid of all of my savings. 

This will be my first home and would really like for it to be my last home. 

Starting CK FAKOS 6/28/2018
TU 503
EQ 498
Discover EX 537

FICO 8
7/7/18 05/24/21
EQ 557 701
TU 566 715
EX 514 711

Mortgage Scores FICO 5,4,2
7/7/18 05/24/21
EQ 494 685
TU 480 703
EX 479 693

Goal Score 720
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.