Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Predicting Mortgage Rates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Predicting Mortgage Rates

I am applying for a 30 year fixed rate but want to get the best deal. I am not in a rush. Does anyone have any insight as to what indicators will predict when the best rate will come around? Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Predicting Mortgage Rates

It would be hard to imagine them going lower than the present. I would say they are artificially low in an attempt to keep the "values" of real estate from falling further as most residential real estate is still overpriced.

I would also assume that they will go up and then back down in the near future. Up a bit to convince people to buy NOW and then back down again when that doesn't work well enough.

It is probably the best time ever to refinance a house. Rates are low and the other costs will likely go up.

The best time to buy one is sometime in the next few years depending if you are looking for the best price or the best financing.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Predicting Mortgage Rates

We really are in some uncharted waters here with what is going on  with our economy.  If our bond rating gets downgraded, rates will assuredly increase. As we accumulate more debt, and fears over the economy increase, the stock market takes a hit and people invest in bonds, which helps long term rates.

Anything more than that, a magic 8 ball would be as helpful as a crystal ball....

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.