cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparing for FHA -Back to Work mortgage... CR health

tag
LieslMet

Preparing for FHA -Back to Work mortgage... CR health

Background: My husband filed (I didn't) for BK7 early March 2013, which was discharged June 2013. It included all of his debts, including the house... BofA, which received a full claim from FHA at the end of summer, sold the loan to OCWEN right around the same time. No matter... it's not our debt to pay anymore. However, they haven't started foreclosure proceedings yet. I hear this takes, in NY on average, about 2.5 years. What worries me is if it *doesn't.*

What I would like to know is:

1) Which "event" does the FHA Back to Work program count from for the 1 year post-x event? Bankruptcy or foreclosure? (Please don't reply with "I would think..." - I've looked and looked and have many thoughts... I'd like to know, for sure, what they do in this situation.) OR, is it from the latest event? My husband would be easily eligible to apply for the program in March, since that's when he filed for BK7 last year... my problem is not knowing if, considering we'll likely be here for 2.5ish years still with how slowly proceedings go, FHA will say that since the house is not foreclosed on yet, we'll have to wait a year from THEN. And if that's what will happen, that's okay... we'll probably have the savings to just build in cash by then. I just want to know what their requirements/priorities are when there are two such events.  

and 2) Would our CRs support an FHA - Back to Work mortgage approval in April, if they accept one year post-BK7?

Husband: Debts IIB totaled $146K, including the house. All but the house were current at time of filing.

(current) 

Experian: 637. Transunion: 650. Equifax: 667.

-Income of $50K, with history of 15 months. (Unemployed previously for 1.5 years from similar-paying job.)

-Auto loan of 1 year with $10K balance. High balance was $13,500. (Loan obtained between 341 mtg. - next day - and discharge, as the lender had been permitted to take the car back and we needed another.)

-Cap One CC of 7 months with CL of $300. Card has carried a small balance for rebuilding. Less than 10%.

Me:
Experian: 720. Transunion: 757. Equifax: 734
-Sporadic income... basically, when I want more money, I take on jobs. I'm a jack of all trades, from construction to accounting to graphic design and tutoring. I'd say $20K, in total.

(I'll be working full-time this fall, when our 3 children will be old enough to stay home alone for the 1.5 hours after school, but that's irrelevant. I won't be including my income in a home loan, just wondering if it would help, if Husband needed it only, to lend my credit. The amount we'd have it for is well within his income alone.)

-USAA CC of 9 months with CL of $1000 (due for an increase.) Util. below 9%.
-Walmart CC of 9 months with CL of $1100. $0 balance.

-Bridgestone (had ONE flat 2 weeks before Christmas and wanted to float the expense of 4 new tires - NYS requires all 4 be replaced when 4WD or AWD) with CL of $1200. $0 balance.

All accounts are current and there are no public records except for the BK7 on Husband's CR. Average account age for mine is 8 years. Average account age for DH is 7 7 years. All 5+ year reportings show as current, closed and mine have always been current. We have roughly $10K in savings. The 3.5% down and closing costs would be somewhere around $3K. (Cheap COL area and would be using a small, cheap house for its land, foundation, well/pump, transformer/electricity run, which would cost that much to accomplish, and storage barn... essentially to tear down the house and build it back up. Post-and-beam, strawbale, 1.5 stories. 3BD, 1.5BA. Plans are done. Most of the materials are in possession. We have experience in building.)

Basically, I want to know if we can move on this property (no one's in a rush for the property but us lol) over the spring/summer or not. Because if not, we'll just save and do it later, on my parents' land. This one is more attractive because it's adjacent to theirs and we'd be able to move near them and settle in far more quickly.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Preparing for FHA -Back to Work mortgage... CR health

1) Which "event" does the FHA Back to Work program count from for the 1 year post-x event? 

The most recent event. In your scenario, it would be the foreclosure ... when it eventually happens.

Message 2 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

At this point technically it's the BK discharge (6/2013), however any underwriter will want to know the status of your existing mortgage with BofA that is currently in default, so that would disqualify you until it's been brought current for 12 months.  Then once it's been brought current, assuming that is June 2014, then you would need to wait until June 2014.  However it sounds like you are expecting a foreclosure and will not bring it current, so from whenever that occurs it'd be another 12 months.  You may want to look into doing a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure to speed up that process, talk to your attorney about the differences and what the impact on your liability would be. 

When/if you apply for FHA financing again, since the current mortgage with BofA is FHA and you mentioned a claim has been paid out, for the 3 years after the claim has been filed you will need to get a CAIVRS waiver, which is an additional process where you are asking FHA to waive the prior FHA claim they paid.  If you read the "Back to Work" thread some people are saying that process alone has added several weeks to a month to the process (since the file has to be sent to Washington D.C. for the waiver to be granted).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

In addition to the DIL suggested by Shane, consider selling the house too. Even when you have a BK, you can sell the house afterward. Generally it is a short sale. The short sale process is shorter than the foreclosure process. Speak to your BK attorney about selling your home as he may need to notify the trustee about the sale. Otherwise it is a regular short sale.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.