Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Student Loans - Charge Off status

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Private Student Loans - Charge Off status

Good Morning,

I debated to post this in the student loan forum, but since it is mortgage related I am putting it here. I searached for a few hours through the forums looking to for info on: How Private Student loans that are in charge off status will affect getting a mortgage. My other loans were rehabbed years ago and I am making ontime monthly payments. I lost track of of these loans when citibank sold to discover and then I was in the Army and now they are listed as Discover and SLC Student Loan trust.

Snapshot:

Capture.JPG

Any help or guidance is apprecaited. This forum has been amazing.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Private Student Loans - Charge Off status

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Morning,

I debated to post this in the student loan forum, but since it is mortgage related I am putting it here. I searached for a few hours through the forums looking to for info on: How Private Student loans that are in charge off status will affect getting a mortgage. My other loans were rehabbed years ago and I am making ontime monthly payments. I lost track of of these loans when citibank sold to discover and then I was in the Army and now they are listed as Discover and SLC Student Loan trust.

Snapshot:

Capture.JPG

Any help or guidance is apprecaited. This forum has been amazing.

Thanks!

Hi Joeyrbbns,

Since they are private student loans & they've been charged off, they won't really effect your ability to get a VA mortgage.

One thing that could help with your credit scores is to offer to settle these accounts for less than what's owed. That will change the status from discharged to paid, zero balance which should increase your scores.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Private Student Loans - Charge Off status

I did the same. BEFORE I applied for mortgage i negotiated a settlement for a private sl charged off a few years before. It was out of SOL. Once they see a mortgage inquiry on your report you lose leverage.

The settled charge off was never even brought up during my mortgage application process.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.