Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promising to Pay off a debt after closing

tag
MrChairman
Established Contributor

Promising to Pay off a debt after closing

My LO ran the numbers wrong and excluded a loan we had no intentions of paying off. With this loan included my DTI is too high. Will be 50% but Suntrust stated they can only go up to 41%. Were expecting to get all of our earnest money back which is 7K. The loan balance is 7300. My LO had me write a letter explaining that we would pay the loan off after close with the refund. Has anyone been in this situation before and is is common to pay off debts after close or at the closing table?

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Promising to Pay off a debt after closing

It's not uncommon for a loan or debt to be included for payoff at closing (and included in the back and forth money transactions), but I can't imagine any lender being satisfied with a promise to pay something after closing. My best guess would be that you are going to require a waiver of their DTI guidelines or an inclusion of the payoff in your closing.

But I'm no expert. Let us know when the lender responds with a "This is what we can do".

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.