cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Put off mortgage until next year..Question about job change!

tag
Tischer712
Regular Contributor

Put off mortgage until next year..Question about job change!

My Fiance and I were in the process of getting approved for our first mortgage. Life got a little crazy and we decided it was too much at once to handle. We are getting married next March and decided to put off house buying until April 2014. I have been working for the same company for 3 years now. I am probably leaving the company in the next month to go into real estate. (I work for family and need to move on from it). How bad will this hurt us getting a mortgage? She is staying at her job and by that time will have 5-6 years with them. I know FHA is stippy about the 2 year job history, unless you transfer to another job in the same field, which I am not doing.

Starting Score: myFico Scores Equifax 544 Transunion 585
Current Score: myFico Scores Equifax 655 Transunion 663 Experian 645
Goal Score: 700 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SantaMar
Regular Contributor

Re: Put off mortgage until next year..Question about job change!

its not a matter of being approved for a mortgage, but how much you will be approved for.  assuming you both have good credit, history of trade lines, savings after closing (lenders like to see savings) i dont see what you wont be able to get approved for a mortgage.  but you have to understand that borrowing power is directly related to w2 income and debt.  do you have any debt?  best case scenario is approaching a lender with 2 incomes and not a lot of debt.  if you leave your company and and are starting over you may only be able to use your fiance's income.  real estate is tricky income because it relies heavuily on commission.   im not sure how lenders view commission.  if you can stick it out with the company for a little bit longer, that would be in your best interest.  you can quit your job as soon as you close but i wouldnt be unemployed shopping for a mortgage, or just starting in real estate

Message 2 of 3
Tischer712
Regular Contributor

Re: Put off mortgage until next year..Question about job change!

We have minimum debt. She makes about 30k a year right now, and we own a car together...Around 17k. I have 25k in student loans, but they are in deferment until 2015, so they won't be factored into my DTI. Besides that we have credit cards but under 3% util between them all. My biggest problem is the wedding likely won't happen if I stay at my current job (I work for her family) and it makes it difficult, as I do not get along with some of them. I am also considering accepting a position at the post office, which his hourly and decent pay. Would be on the job for a year by the time we apply next April. That job would bring my income up about 10k a year. I was just a little hesitant leaving this job. But as I said, with all honesty, either my relationship will break or I quit first.

Starting Score: myFico Scores Equifax 544 Transunion 585
Current Score: myFico Scores Equifax 655 Transunion 663 Experian 645
Goal Score: 700 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.