Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qualifying questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Qualifying questions

Hello, I have a few questions. We are looking to purchase our first home. Unfortunately, housing prices where we live are extremely high and with a one person household income its hard to afford a home. We are even looking into a BMR home program. We submitted all the documents to apply last Monday but have not heard anything so I'm starting to think there are some red flags we should work on. 

Do you think we can qualify?

Credit: wife 802 (EQ ScorePower), my credit score 783 (EQ) Score Power (all three scores are above this number on myfico)

Income: $52,000 year but with overtime the last 3+ years the w2's have a higher amount. $59,000 for 2013, and $65,013 for 2014. Can overtime be counted?
Source of income: Employment and overtime, worked at same company for 7 years. Wife is unemployed and a homemaker. Does wife go on application if unemployed?
Monthly debt payments: $365 car payment, $207 student loans, $15 credit card. Bought the car when we had no credit so it has an interest rate of 17.99, we owe a little over $5,000 left. Should we refinance? Will refinances disrupt/hurt the approval process? Should we use our savings to pay it completely off then go for the morgage loan? 
Assets/Reserves: $5,500 savings (expecting a 5,800 tax return). Can the tax return be counted towards downpayment?
Property: Single Family House
Value: $234,000
Occupancy: Primary residencey.
Transaction Type: Purchase

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Qualifying questions

"Can overtime be counted?"

Depends.  They'll look at check stubs and W2s.  If they see it as a constant over many pay periods, your good.  

"Does wife go on application if unemployed?"

No.

" Bought the car when we had no credit so it has an interest rate of 17.99, we owe a little over $5,000 left. Should we refinance? Will refinances disrupt/hurt the approval process? Should we use our savings to pay it completely off then go for the morgage loan? "

I'd pay that off.  That 5000 is drawing about 1.5% in a savings account, while you're getting stiffed for 18% on whatever the balance is.  You'll take a short term hit on your score, but who cares, when you'll save money in the short and long term.  With the car paid off, turn around and use the payment you were paying to that shister, and pay yourself, and soon you'll have that 5k back.

"Can the tax return be counted towards downpayment?"

Yes.  I mean you can't point to your 1040 and say, "Look here, I have this IRS money coming for the DP."  When its in the bank, then you can use it.  You just have to show where it come from, because they're gonna ask.  Keep track of the dates and bookmark it so you can go back and print it out when the time comes.  But maybe you have a LO officer who will pre approve ya if you promise to use your refund for the DP?

Keep in mind I'm not a mortgage pro, but your income might be a little light for a 234k mortgage.  At 52k, uphill battle, but if you can consistenly show over 60, you're in the game.  You might need one more year.  I dunno much, but if I see 52k, 59k and then 65k, I might wanna see what happens in 2015.  You can be approved for loan, but maybe just not for 234k.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.