Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about balance transfer for DTI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about balance transfer for DTI

I called NFCU this morning just to get an idea of what I might qualify for and what work I would have to do to get qualified. My target price is around 200k or less but Id like to qualify up to 250k just to have some flexibility. His advice was for my income level (74k) it would be pushing the max for me to qualify for 250k and his advice was to try to lessen my monthly debt obligations.My overal utilization is 19%. My biggest payment other than my car is my Care Credit account. I had 4k worth of dental work done and currently am on a 0% interest 24 month plan but this payment is $167/month.

I'm hesitant to move this balance because I'm not paying any interest but if I moved it my minimum payment would be a lot lower...any advice?? I'm new to this. I could just leave it as-is since I'm not planning to go up to 250k anyways...it was just cushion.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Question about balance transfer for DTI

@Anonymous wrote:

I called NFCU this morning just to get an idea of what I might qualify for and what work I would have to do to get qualified. My target price is around 200k or less but Id like to qualify up to 250k just to have some flexibility. His advice was for my income level (74k) it would be pushing the max for me to qualify for 250k and his advice was to try to lessen my monthly debt obligations.My overal utilization is 19%. My biggest payment other than my car is my Care Credit account. I had 4k worth of dental work done and currently am on a 0% interest 24 month plan but this payment is $167/month.

I'm hesitant to move this balance because I'm not paying any interest but if I moved it my minimum payment would be a lot lower...any advice?? I'm new to this. I could just leave it as-is since I'm not planning to go up to 250k anyways...it was just cushion.

Thanks!

^^^How much is the car payment?  That one is probably larger than the dental payment. Is there anything you can do with the auto loan? Refi possible? How much do you owe and what is it worth?

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think much can be done with the car payment. I got the car new in May 2016. The payment is $496 refinanced with Penfed in Oct at 5%. Amount owed is around 28k.

Message 3 of 19
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

You are probably right - unless you can refi to a lower payment.  What is your mortgage score?

It really does sound like the LO was telling you that there is a DTI issue rather than a score issue though. If you are only going for a $200k house, why do you need a $250k pre-approval?  Have them put together the pre-approval based on a realistic payment for you. Don't spend more (even on paper) than what is comfortable for you to afford. 

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure about my mortgage scores...I've been too cheap to pull them. I was going to ask nfcu for them when they pulled. But my FICO 8 scores are listed below and this is my first house so there aren't any mortagage accounts on my credit report. He did say I would be fine at 200k... I guess there is no reason to stretch because I wouldn't be willing to go much over that anyway... I just wanted a cushion because no matter what your budget is realtors seem to always show you something you fall in love with over your budget.

ExperianEquifaxTransunion
Message 5 of 19
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure about my mortgage scores...I've been too cheap to pull them. I was going to ask nfcu for them when they pulled. But my FICO 8 scores are listed below and this is my first house so there aren't any mortagage accounts on my credit report. He did say I would be fine at 200k... I guess there is no reason to stretch because I wouldn't be willing to go much over that anyway... I just wanted a cushion because no matter what your budget is realtors seem to always show you something you fall in love with over your budget.

ExperianEquifaxTransunion

No, if you have a Realtor that does this - find another one.  I'm a Realtor and we have the budget discussion early on (first thing). It is important to establish that you are only willing to pay $X.  I find the issue is sometimes the buyer doesn't like the selection available at the price point they choose so they want to see that $250k (for example) home and negotiate to a $200k price Smiley Frustrated  Not happening in a sellers market. 

Have a frank discussion with your Realtor. If they won't get on board with your budget, find another one.

EDIT:  FICO 8 scores bear no relationship to FICO mortgage scores.  Check your mortgage scores so you know ~ 

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you... that is great advice! I don't have a realtor yet. Once I start looking I will be firm.

Is there a way to get your mortgage scores besides paying for them? Maybe a trial? It looks like its $60 here on myfico.

Thanks again for the guidance!
Message 7 of 19
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you... that is great advice! I don't have a realtor yet. Once I start looking I will be firm.

Is there a way to get your mortgage scores besides paying for them? Maybe a trial? It looks like its $60 here on myfico.

There are only two ways to get your mortgage scores:

1) have a mortgage lender pull it - but then that is a hard inquiry

2) pay for them here - it is a soft pull but it costs $60 unless you get a discount code (when available)

Personally, I would rather have the soft pull and not the hard inq, 

Message 8 of 19
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There are only two ways to get your mortgage scores:

1) have a mortgage lender pull it - but then that is a hard inquiry

2) pay for them here - it is a soft pull but it costs $60 unless you get a discount code (when available)

Personally, I would rather have the soft pull and not the hard inq, 

Can you do the monthly trial at $30/mo and cancel before going into the 2nd month?  http://www.myfico.com/products/ultimate-three-bureau-credit-report/

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 9 of 19
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Forgot all about that one Shane! Yes, MyFICO is easy to cancel, they won't hassle you at all Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.