Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about balance transfer for DTI

😲
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was finally able to get my mortgage scores: 693, 675, 650 so no issue there. Come to find out because I had a short sale I have to wait at least another 1.5 to 2.5 years. I had no idea and I'm so bummed. 😕 I've been busting my butt to get ready to buy a house. He said otherwise I would have been able to do usda.
Message 13 of 19
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

When did the deed pass to the new buyer in the short sale? (date)

What type of loan did you have before, VA, USDA, FHA?

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think it was any of them. It was an ARM back when they were handing them out like candy and I didn't know any better. It ended up going up to 11.625 so I filed for ch7 and surrendered the property in 2011. The bk discharged and the bank never foreclosed. It sat in my name until last year when I got in touch with them and they agreed to a short sale and I finally got rid of it.

Sorry to ramble but all that to say it finally sold in October 2016. I wish I had known, I could have sold it in 2011
Message 15 of 19
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

If the mortgage was discharged in the bankruptcy and you didn't reaffirm the debt, then if the BK discharge (assuming it's a Ch 7) was over 4 years ago, then you would be eligible now with Fannie Mae financing and 5% down (perhaps even 3%) - as it goes by the BK discharge date and not the foreclosure/short sale date.  See the thread here.  While that thead only discusses mortgages discharged in bankruptcy that were later foreclosed on, it also applies to mortgages discharged in bankruptcy that later short sold (as I've gotten those done).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Shane! This is my situation exactly! The ch 7 discharged in Aug of 2011. How would I find out more about going this route? Are there only certain lenders that do Fannie Mae?
Message 17 of 19
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

You are welcome.  Most lenders offer Fannie Mae programs, but just a small percentage of loan officers are aware of that guideline.  What is even a smaller percentage, are the underwriters who know that it also applies to short sales & deed-in-lieu of foreclosures (since the guidelines don't specifically say).  I had to convince our underwriter to call Fannie Mae directly to confirm it also applied to short sales. 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shane, do you handle loans in Georgia? If so can you pm me your info?
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.