Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about husband qualifying alone

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about husband qualifying alone

We live in Washington which is a community property state.  We are planning on applying for a conventional mortgage using only my husband's credit.  My credit has $3000  worth of medical debt (which I plan to dispute) and since we can afford a house on his income alone we plan on leaving me off the loan.  Is it possible that my medical  debt will show up on his credit report when the lender pulls it  because we live in a community property state? Do lenders see the same report we see when we pull up our FICO scores?   He has  less than 3% DTI ratio and having my debt on his credit report can really mess this up for us.  Thank you for any help with this!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Question about husband qualifying alone

When we check credit the only trade lines we see are that person's individual & joint accounts - we don't see their spouse's individual debts.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a fellow Washingtonian, I am used to doing loans in a community property state.

The lender will need a credit report on you also, to make sure that any monthly debts you have will count in your husbands DTI ratio. As long as you have no debts (i.e. judgments) that would effect title to the home, you should be o.k.

Good luck,

Steve

Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The lender will need a credit report on you also, to make sure that any monthly debts you have will count in your husbands DTI ratio. As long as you have no debts (i.e. judgments) that would effect title to the home, you should be o.k.

But not with conventional financing.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.