Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about payment allocation.

tag
Hammer23
Frequent Contributor

Question about payment allocation.

So I made my first mortgage loan payment on the 17th (14 days early). My question is how the payment should have been allocated. 

I work in the auto finance business as an underwriter. When we originate a loan it is "simple interest" meaning your interest is broken down into a daily interest charge or "per diem". When a payment is received it is first applied to the daily interest charge, then to principal. With this method, paying your payment early has the effect of lowering the total amount of interest you pay over the life of the loan. 

So under this method my daily interest on my mortgage is $16.93. Since I went 17 days before making a payment (loan start date of 8/1/2012) my accumulated daily interest should have been $287.81. They instead allocated $514.98 toward interest. 

Is this correct? Are mortgage loans not simple interest? 

If this is correct, then there is no benefit to paying your mortgage early, and no penalty to pay late (just before the late charge hits). 

WF Home Projects Visa $8500 / Towpath CU Visa $7000 / Chase Freedom Visa $5500 / Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $5000 / Barclaycard Ring MC $5000 / GE Lowes $5000 / Citi Best Buy MC $4250 / Barclaycard Rewards Visa $4000 / BFG CU Visa $3500 / Citi Sears$3000 / WF Visa $2000 / GE Walmart $1900 / GE Care Credit $1900 / GE Amazon $1400 / Cap 1 Kohls $1000 / GE Old Navy $800 / Webbank Fingerhut $700
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.