Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about timing?

tag
Remi1
Contributor

Question about timing?

Hello,

DH and I are looking at buying a house in a few years and are trying to plan ahead. 

How long did it/is it taking from when ya'll started the process/pre approval to final approval/closing? Looking for timeline experiences. 

Also, conventional wisdom says no new accounts within 24 months, maybe 18 months. How big of a headache/hassle/point loss would it be if there was one new account in last 24 months at time of pre-approval that would be outside of 24 months by time of final approval, or be very close at 22/23 months? 

Thank you all!

5 REPLIES 5
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about timing?

I guess it depends if you are building or just buying a house. For us building, we got our preapproval at the start of the build. Right at about 60 months before closing we started the loan process.

About the new accounts, it really depends on your profile. If you have a really high credit score, getting a new account during the 12 months before closing is no big deal. If you had a 620 score, getting a new account could sink all your chances of getting the loan. We had a new account on our reports, but because our scores were high, it didn't matter.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

60 months?   That's 5 years.

Message 3 of 6
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Typo, sorry 60 days.

Message 4 of 6
Michizane
Regular Contributor

For me, we have gone through pre-approval and are just had our offer accepted on a home (was accepted on Tuesday, and I'm about to do the inspections today, with a 7 day inspection contingency)...so my Loan Officer said that he is expecting the closing date to be around 7/9/2021 (he did say it will be tight, but we'll see). The preapproval was pretty easy for us...we applied on a Thursday night and got a pre-approval letter on Friday morning. The Loan Officer also called me to go over loan estimates and next steps when we are about to put in an offer on a home. Over the first 3 days or so after our application, we were getting emails to submit certain documents thru their portal as well. 

As for new accounts, I had a new account from last December and applied in May. I'm sure it negatively impacted my score, but it was hard to gauge since I used the small loan to pay off all credit cards. So it was a net positive for me, and I had a good enough score. 

Message 5 of 6
Remi1
Contributor

Thank you everyone for the responses so far! Just trying to get a gauge on things.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.