Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Mortgage and School loan

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Question on Mortgage and School loan

Ive been doing research, and I guess im just not clear on this. Could someone please help me better understand this?? 

I have a Federal school loan with a Bal of $26k....the scheduled payments of literally $78/month, but I pay $100. The terms are set for 306 months, LOL! 

So, anyway...when I go to get my preapproval for mortagage, (my car will be paid off by then too), the only debt Ill have in my School loan since I PIF all my CC's.  how will they calculate my school loan into this to qualify? Will they take the scheduled $78 payments, my $100 payment, or will they come up with a higher number they will factor in? 

Really confused on this topic... Thanks for any insight!!Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question on Mortgage and School loan

The LO will include the $78 in your liabilities.  If that's the only liability you have then you're good to go.. Rent, electric bill and etc., things like that is not included.  

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on the kind of loan you're looking for. FHA & VA have one set of rules, and conventional loans have another set on how they determine school loans and DTI.

Message 3 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Well, since Im a first time home buying, and low down payment, plus Im not 4 yr post BK dc for a conventional loan....im stuck with other routes to obtain one.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP's loans are not in deferment.  If the credit reports shows $78 monthly then that's what is added to their liability.   

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

OP's loans are not in deferment.  If the credit reports shows $78 monthly then that's what is added to their liability.   

Weatherguy, SouthEast is still correct. FHA will take the payment on your report, but conventional will take the higher of 1% of the balance or the actual payment... unless the borrower can prove the actual payments will fully amortize the loan without payment adjustments. Basically, conventional loans don't like the graduated or IBR repayment options unless the actual payment is higher than 1% of the remaining balance.

Message 6 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Weatherguy, SouthEast is still correct. FHA will take the payment on your report, but conventional will take the higher of 1% of the balance or the actual payment... unless the borrower can prove the actual payments will fully amortize the loan without payment adjustments. Basically, conventional loans don't like the graduated or IBR repayment options unless the actual payment is higher than 1% of the remaining balance.

so 1% would roughly be around $260-$280? even at that payment, I think Id be ok for qualification??? That would be my only debt

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct, 1% would be $260. What is your income and what purchase prices are you looking at?

Message 8 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Correct, 1% would be $260. What is your income and what purchase prices are you looking at?

@Anonymous wrote:

$65k..../.....$170k-200k

Im single, so its my income only.  Currently middle score is 684. Not looking till next October

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

$65k..../.....$170k-200k

Im single, so its my income only.  Currently middle score is 684. Not looking till next October

The student loans won't make or break your DTI in that price range. Best of luck!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.