Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on counting assets

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on counting assets

My future mother in law x-fered money into our saving account to be used for our wedding.  The wedding is 8 months away.  Can we count that money as our assets toward our loan?  we are ok right now, we have at least 5 mo of assets at the loan amount we are at now so we really dont need to count.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Question on counting assets

If the money has been in the account longer than 2 months when you apply for the mortgage, you should be able to count it.   The lender will ask for the last two months of banks statements, maybe three.   You  want to make sure the money shows up on both statements.   The ideal would be that the is already in the account and not showing as a deposit made on the statement.

Message 2 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

They could also ask for a VOE - Verification of Deposit - and I'm not sure how far those go back, but it could be longer than just 2-3 months.

As long as your MIL writes a letter saying she gifted you the $, and doesn't want it paid back, you should be fine.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

even though we will be using that money for our wedding?

Message 4 of 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Are you buying the house before the wedding or after the wedding?

Will you have enough saved up for a house, if you don't count the gift money?

Would your MIL be ok if you used the money for a house?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

But the house before the wedding

Yes, based on my counts, we will have about 9100 not including the extra 3k for the wedding.  After closing and downpayment we will have 2200 left over.  But what my LO does not not is that we already have a verbal with a seller and they agreed to give us 2k cash back at closing.  

She would not mind, we just need to use the cash back we receive to go towards the wedding. 

Message 6 of 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Ok, you are buying the house before the wedding.

The more money in savings that the underwriter sees, the better.  The longer it's in the account, the better.  

The verbal with the seller - is it in writing ANYWHERE?  

Do you have a purchase agreement/sales contract yet?

When are you planning to buy the house?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

we submitted a written offer via our realtor, they verbally countered, we verbally countered their counter and they verbally accepted.  They are meeting with the realtor hopefully today or tomorrow to sign their half of the countract and then we meet.

As far as the money being in the account, my MIL trasfered the first 2k a couple of weeks ago, and is transfering the other 4k today.  3k was a home gift the other is a wedding gift (ie pay for the wedding) 

Message 8 of 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

When you guys sign the updated sales agreement, make sure it's written in the contract that you will receive 2k at closing.  It will mean that you need to bring a little less to the table at closing.   BUT still stock pile as much money as you can between now and then.   The more the better!   AFTER you close, you can do what you want with the money in your account.

Congratulations!  

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  We are not in the clear yet tho,  the bank has our file to increase the loan amount from 40k to 53k  Our DTI only increases from 30% to 33% and i know we will have enough as of right now for at least 2 months piti, not including the MIL money.

I am just sitting here biting my nails waiting for the answer  i should be fine, but i scare myself sometimes 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.