Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Question for VA Loans

tag
IQn2D
New Contributor

Quick Question for VA Loans

Do I need to get a Well Test and Septic Tank inspection on a new build. I have no septic tank or well at my new construction. Also, do I need to get a pest and home inspection. They were listed on my loan disclosure I recieved in Febuary. I'm closing next Friday on my home. I know I should be receiving another loan disclosure. Just wanted to know because I'm taking notes for my closing. Thanks in advance.

Starting Score: EQ612, TU644, EX622 4-22-17
Current Score: EQ720, TU728, EX705 02-18-18
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: Quick Question for VA Loans

Great questions you should be asking your lender as they would know the specifics, but it's not likely you'll need any of these inspections that you are asking about.   Of course this assumes that your building is connected to municipal water and waste services?

A builder will always treat the soil in their lots for termites prior to construction and is required to provide that form to your lender or your loan won't close, so there's no need to worry about that though.

Inspections on new construction are ideal to have "built" into your purchase contract a clause that allows you to have the builder fix and correct any items within a year of closing as this allows for "settling" and what not since you may already be doing "walk-thrus" at different intervals of the construction process.  For these walk thrus, a licensed inspector can be invaluable--you know, just to keep the builder honest.   I have read stories where builders and their contractors and or subcontractors occassionally make mistakes that they attempt to hide or cover up because fixing them may delay a closing or increase the cost to the party responsible. 

Hopefully, others will chime in...

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 6
IQn2D
New Contributor

Thanks for answering my questions. I’ll be sure to ask my LO on Tuesday when I lock in my rate.
Starting Score: EQ612, TU644, EX622 4-22-17
Current Score: EQ720, TU728, EX705 02-18-18
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 6
PNut08
New Contributor

Hopping onto inspection question...if my lender doesn't require a survey and I'm buying a townhouse, is it necessary?  We don't intend to change anything to the outside of it any time soon.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 6
kc0039
Established Contributor

@PNut08wrote:

Hopping onto inspection question...if my lender doesn't require a survey and I'm buying a townhouse, is it necessary?  We don't intend to change anything to the outside of it any time soon.  Thanks!

I would get a survey so I know where my property lines are.

Licensed in IL
Message 5 of 6
silvius
New Contributor

Isn't a survey a VA requirement....unless of course the townhouse part makes it different than a typical single family home purchase....

January 2023: 850 (Equifax FICO 9)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.