Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raising mortgage FICOs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Raising mortgage FICOs

Hi

We’re trying to raise my husband’s mortgage FICOs to 680 ideally but at least 660. EX is 669 and TU is 649 and those are the two highest.

We paid down a credit card from near maximum to like 3% utilization. That hasn’t his TU yet so that may go up. We’re starting to use AZEO as well. Other cards are all paid off and have been.

He has one 30 day late from 8 months ago. If we can get that off, will that make much of a difference in the mortgage scores? Does AZEO help mortgage scores?

Another option we have is to get a vehicle out of my husband’s name to open up his DTI. Would that negatively impact his scores? He would still have student loans in his name.

The other issue I noticed is we put his student loans into IBR repayment. I’m not sure if it was always like this but his loans all show a payment that isn’t actually the payment. He has one $40 a month payment for those. In IBR do they typically report a different amount on credit reports and if so is there a way around that? It will totally screw up our DTI if they use what’s on there.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Raising mortgage FICOs

The 30-day late payment from 8 months ago is definitely dinging his scores, and could potentially prevent him from getting approved, so getting it removed will improve the scores and his chances of approval.  "Much of a difference" is what you define it as, without running a simulator it's tough to guess how many points he'd gain.

If you are qualifying for Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac (conventional) financing, then for student loans not in deferment, the payment that is listed on the credit report can be used to qualify or if you have documentation on the actual payment then that can be used instead (Fannie Mae's guideline).   VA will also go by that guideline.  FHA & USDA do not use IBR payments and will use 1% of the balance to qualify instead.

Regarding the AZEO & paying off a vehicle's impact to scores questions, https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/bd-p/ficoscoring would be a better section to post those in.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 3
KELSTAR
Regular Contributor

Re: Raising mortgage FICOs

IMO Do not apply for anything! From my experience, mortgage scores are the most sensitive to inquiries.

I went through closing a home in May and middle FICO MORTGAGE score was 752. Closed on home and applied for 3 cards I wanted and that score went to 699 in 1 month. The FICO 8 version went down 7 points in same time. In veiwing my mortgage scores up to the time of approval the mortgage scores jumped about 30 points on average at 6 months without an application of any of the bureaus.

Good luck!

Signature as of 10/01/21. Clean file. MYFICO 3B. I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin for those tracking what credit bureau is pulled by location.
FICO 8 EQ=796 TU=799 EX=801
FICO 9 EQ=816 TU=816 EX=813
MORTGAGE SCORES EQ=773 TU=782 EX=787
AAoA=4Y3M AoOA=11Y4M AoYA=5M
VANTAGE SCORES EQ=825 TU=813 EX=813
BUSINESS CREDIT SCORES. Formed LLC 6/1/18. YEARLY SALES=3M
EXPERIAN BUSINESS CREDIT SCORE=77 EXPERIAN FINANCIAL STABILITY RISK RATING=1 SMALL BUSINESS SCORE SERVICE SCORE=210 D+B=80
HARD PULLS last 12 months EQ=1 TU=1 EX=1 Three new accounts reporting.
HARD PULLS last 24 months EQ=1 TU=2 EX=2 Four new accounts reporting.
INCOME=$290k as of 10/01/21 for income stated on applications. DTI=2.5% Business sales 300k monthly.
MAIN BUSINESS and PERSONAL BANKING=CHASE
MORTGAGE=800K 03/21 2.25%
INSTALLMENT LOAN. Vehicle loan opened 08/18. Zero down. 45K at 0% for 60 months LINCOLN FINANCE.

OPEN PERSONAL ACCOUNTS/OPEN DATE
DISCOVER=34k 10/17 CITI COSTCO VISA=16k 06/18 US BANK CASH+=7k 06/18 PENFED PLATINUM REWARDS=10k 07/18 CHASE FREEDOM=10k 07/19 CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE=14.1k 09/20 AMEX PLATINUM= NPSL 04/21 AMEX HILTON SURPASS=10k 05/21

OPEN BUSINESS ACCOUNTS/OPEN DATE
CHASE INK CASH=10k 07/18 AMEX MARRIOT BONVOY=10k 02/19 CHASE INK UNLIMITED=10k 09/19 US BANK BUSINESS CASH=29k 10/19 WELLS FARGO BUSINESS PLATINUM=20k 11/19 AMEX LOWES BUSINESS=15k 11/19 AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS=35k 02/20 CHASE INK PREFERRED=50k 07/20 AMEX BUSINESS GOLD=NPSL 09/20 AMEX BUSINESS PLATINUM=NPSL 05/21 CHASE BUSINESS LINE OF CREDIT= 225k 09/21
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.