Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid credit score repair for mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rapid credit score repair for mortgage

Hi all,
I'm about to close on a new home, and had a giant issue pop up this week.

We found the house earlier than anticipated, while we were still getting our down-payment lined up. Because I still needed to liquidate some assets, I pulled about $10,000 from a line of credit in order to come up with the escrow deposit. I understand all of the advice about not opening new credit before closing (longtime lurker here) but it was really the only option, and this was only meant to be a short term bridge until the cash was available.

Unfortunately, this was reported to the credit agencies before I could pay it off, and my score dropped (from about 770 to 720). Earlier this week, I received a "Changed Circumstances Package" reflecting an increase in my origination fees due to my lower credit score (to the tune of $4000).  I've since paid down $5000 on the line of credit, and will do so completely within a few days.

Unfortunately, the closing is scheduled for 4/20, and my bank will not report the 0% utilization in time to the agencies. I could *maybe* get the closing pushed to 5/1, but not beyond, and I don't think this will be sufficient time to increase my score.

I've spoken with my loan officer, and he's trying to get an accomodation approved. I've also called my bank to see if there was any way to report the 0% utilization to the rating agencies. I'm waiting to hear back from both, but not optimistic on either front.

Is there any other potential solution that I'm missing here? Any way to quickly get the agencies to update?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
me12345
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rapid credit score repair for mortgage

Just document the payment and have your loan Officer do a "Rapid Re-score" ...This is done all the time, they can update new credit report activity within 48-72 hours.

The LO might not voluntarily bring it up, because the fees by law,CANNOT be charged to the borrower, so usually the LO must pay for it and it can get expensive at about $40.00 per Tradeline and $40.00 per agency.

Thanks,

VA & FHA down to 550...
Licensed Senior Mortgage Loan Officer in the states of Arizona & California
Specializing in VA, FHA, USDA & Conventional loans. My company is also licensed in 12 states, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Utah,
Alaska, New Mexico, Texas, Illinois and Florida
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  That's exactly the sort of help I was looking for. 

I'll update as it progresses.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It took two weeks, and my bank was very resistant to do it (Loan officer really went to bat for me). 

Apparently, it was worse than I had been told - my score had dropped to 690. 

I just got the call from my loan officer, and with the rescore I cleared 740 and I'm back to my original pricing.  Aiming for a closing on May 2, which also gets us an extra month before our first mortgage payment is due - so, silver lining for all the stress this put me under.

Thanks again for your help! This saved me a bundle of cash.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

nice congrats come back and tell us when you close

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.