cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to buy a home but need 40 more points to qualify. Next steps?

tag
TRae01

Ready to buy a home but need 40 more points to qualify. Next steps?

I'm looking for some help on what the next steps should be to help boost my mortgage score by at least 40 points 

Current scores are

EQ-618

Ex-563

TU-618

Ive been working on clearing some things and I've made a great improvement on the FICO 8 score but the mortgage scores are not moving much. 

here's a breakdown on the derogatory items listed on my report:

* multiple lates on credit cards(most recent was 6 months ago on a navy federal card and it was an oversight)

*old Amex charge off (paid)
*charged off Bloomingdales credit card(unpaid but they will not accept payment for it because they flagged it as confirmed fraud) 

* HELOC currently at 96% utilization balance is 23k

I will be getting a bonus of about 30k soon and thought it would be a good idea to pay the heloc off. Would that be a start in the right direction? What else should I do to get the additional 40 points?

11 REPLIES 11
AlmostNJ
Regular Contributor

Re: Ready to buy a home but need 40 more points to qualify. Next steps?

That's a tough one but what is your overall utilization?

Message 2 of 12
ChiknNuggz
Regular Contributor

You can try to write a goodwill letter, call, and email to get the late payment removed.  Also, if you have any hard inqueris in the past 1 year you can try to get those removed as well.  As usual keep the credit card utiliazation at 1% if possible.  I think you should def see an increase in your score.

Message 3 of 12
TRae01

Overall i believe is around 92%. Majority of that is the Heloc. 

@AlmostNJ wrote:

That's a tough one but what is your overall utilization?

Message 4 of 12
TRae01

@ChiknNuggz wrote:

You can try to write a goodwill letter, call, and email to get the late payment removed.  Also, if you have any hard inqueris in the past 1 year you can try to get those removed as well.  As usual keep the credit card utiliazation at 1% if possible.  I think you should def see an increase in your score.

How far back should i go? 

Message 5 of 12
JVille
Valued Contributor

Bloomingdales they can't have it both ways. If it's "Confirmed Fraud" they must remove it or ALLOW you to pay it! It will continue to Tank your Credit Scores. What s the reporting date? You may want to Officially disput this to clear it up so they either remove or allow you to pay off just to make it go away.

Message 6 of 12
RSX
Valued Contributor

you cant get Hard Inquiries removed - dont try by disputing

that recent late may hurt you for the mortgage app - i hope not

if you drop your util below 29%, you should see a good score bump

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 7 of 12
AlmostNJ
Regular Contributor

I found that if i have nothing above 68% then that will also boost your score. I am not sure if the HELOC is included.

@RSX wrote:

you cant get Hard Inquiries removed - dont try by disputing

that recent late may hurt you for the mortgage app - i hope not

if you drop your util below 29%, you should see a good score bump

Message 8 of 12
TRae01

@JVille wrote:

Bloomingdales they can't have it both ways. If it's "Confirmed Fraud" they must remove it or ALLOW you to pay it! It will continue to Tank your Credit Scores. What s the reporting date? You may want to Officially disput this to clear it up so they either remove or allow you to pay off just to make it go away.

This is what I've been working on. I've sent multiple disputes to the CB but nothing. finally sent one to them directly and they're giving me the standard 30 day message. The report CO every month so I'm sure it's really hurting my score 

Message 9 of 12
JVille
Valued Contributor

Bloomingdales? Are they the ones reporting or is a Collection Agency? What's the date and amount? Trying to think outside the box... 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.