cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refi Closed...from 4% 30-year fixed USDA to conventional 2.75% fixed for 15 years

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Refi Closed...from 4% 30-year fixed USDA to conventional 2.75% fixed for 15 years

In reading the tea leaves relative to impending rising interest rates, we thought it would be prudent to explore refi options back in December.

Originally, we closed a USDA guaranteed 30-year fixed mortgage at 4% eight years ago. The PMI was particularly annoying, but that's the cost of the no money down USDA option.

Fast-forward to December of 2021:

We locked a rate of 2.75% fixed for 15 years (conventional, no PMI) with a home value to loan balance ratio of 3 to 1. Our local credit union jumped at the chance to snag this as a portfolio loan, which means they won't be reselling it to anyone. Not that they would anyway since we had my truck loan, daily credit card driver and direct deposits there already, but it's a nice feeling to have most of our financial business with a local, established credit union.

This refi shaved seven years of payments - plus PMI - off of our books...and the monthly payment is actually LOWER than the previous one. With our fat equity, they're asking if we want a HELOC with an equally fat line. I'm still kicking that option around, but it's nice to have options. Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Re: Refi Closed...from 4% 30-year fixed USDA to conventional 2.75% fixed for 15 years

Nicely done! 👍👍

Rates are going up in near future! So perfect timing.

Message 2 of 8
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Re: Refi Closed...from 4% 30-year fixed USDA to conventional 2.75% fixed for 15 years

@CYBERSAM wrote:

Nicely done! 👍👍

Rates are going up in near future! So perfect timing.

Thank you!

Funny thing is, mortgage refi rates literally went up the day after we locked ours. Smiley Wink

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

Great job and good timing!

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 4 of 8
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@homeloanexpert wrote:

Great job and good timing!

Thank you!

Message 5 of 8
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Update:

Not only has the refi closed, but I just closed on a pretty hefty HELOC at 4.5% fixed. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

Update:

Not only has the refi closed, but I just closed on a pretty hefty HELOC at 4.5% fixed. Smiley Happy

Congratulations!!

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 7 of 8
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Adkins wrote:

@CreditCrusader wrote:

Update:

Congratulations!!

Thank you!

With where the interest rates are headed for what may be YEARS to follow, I'm thankful to have wrapped these loans up.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.