Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refi - Options

tag
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

Refi - Options

I planned to do Refi on my 9-month mortgage after seeing some rates drops recently. I have asked the lender for No cost refi.

What are my options on the table going with No cost refi?

Lender pulled my credit and it's in 744 across as I was told.

4/2024 FICO TU-840|EX - 838|EQ -840
Total Credit - $535K+
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 840
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: Refi - Options

Well, I've never met an attorney, appraiser and loan officer that work for free, but as long as you realize that their 'fees' are hidden and paid for by the bank in some way shape or form and you are still getting a deal you are happy with then by all means go for it.

The rates on the US 10 YR Treasury bond yield (the barometer for mortgage rates in America) has plunged from it's high of 3.25% last year to 2.125% in the last couple weeks so the opportunities to refinance are out there to say the least and as a consumer, you can profit from this move by taking advantage of the opportunity.

Congrats!

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@NC_Mtg_Loaner wrote:

Well, I've never met an attorney, appraiser and loan officer that work for free, but as long as you realize that their 'fees' are hidden and paid for by the bank in some way shape or form and you are still getting a deal you are happy with then by all means go for it.

The rates on the US 10 YR Treasury bond yield (the barometer for mortgage rates in America) has plunged from it's high of 3.25% last year to 2.125% in the last couple weeks so the opportunities to refinance are out there to say the least and as a consumer, you can profit from this move by taking advantage of the opportunity.

Congrats!

I suspect you're right on this one: I think no cost is basically not on the table; if OP's trying to do it without money out of pocket it's usually considered a cash-out refi and rolled into the loan as I understand it.  I know I absolutely positively won't be doing that in California, smokes my get free out of jail card if things really go sideways: I'll be bringing the fistful of cash to closing personally.

I need to go check rates again, been spot checking but didn't really look at the last few weeks.

        
Message 3 of 12
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

My current mortgage rate is 4.625%

Is it worth if i get any refi rates of 0.5% reduced from my current one provided with no cost for refi? I am just guessing a number.

Total Credit - $535K+

Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 4 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@GetMeSlick wrote:

My current mortgage rate is 4.625%

Is it worth if i get any refi rates of 0.5% reduced from my current one provided with no cost for refi? I am just guessing a number.

The rule of thumb is if the increase is not at least 2% lower (2.625), it's not worth it and especially if you're not planning on keeping the home for another 7 years. However, 1.5% lower may be okay if you're not paying any closing costs. Just my 2cents

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't a no cost refinance just raise the APR? The fees just get devided over the life of the loan.
Message 6 of 12
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

I get that part of refi pros being getting atleast 2% lesser than current rate.

What am i missing here if i do the refi now down the line/future refi's.

Will i still get refi offers in future if i do a refi now on my existing 8 months mortgage?

Total Credit - $535K+

Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 7 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

That 2% line is just a recommendation TBH.

Do the actual math: there are good mortgage calculators online (I use Bankrate personally) and look at the current interest expected over the life of the loan vs what you would wind up paying with a refi... or at least until your expected sell date. In my case I expect to keep my current condo basically forever, if I pay it off I will be OK financially in retirement even if I do dream of being someplace closer to a good college or at least someplace with better mass transit.

Anyway back on topic, if that comes out winning compared to the origination fees, it can make financial sense if the amount is worth it to you.

If you have no fees (I.e the cost is rolled into the loan) and you are still saving money, that’s hard to turn down for what is a pretty darned easy process imo.

        
Message 8 of 12
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

What's your loan balance?

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 9 of 12
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

@NC_Mtg_Loaner wrote:

What's your loan balance?

$449k is current balance. 

Total Credit - $535K+

Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.